Making a Toothpick Christmas Tree
Make a spiky toothpick Christmas tree decoration for you home. This is a guide about making a toothpick Christmas tree.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Toothpicks and Styrofoam balls come together to make an amazingly elegant table top Christmas tree.
Approximate Time: 10 - 12 hours
- 16 3-inch Styrofoam balls
- 9-12 inch Styrofoam wreath
- approx 5600 round toothpicks
- 1 can spray paint
- 1 can spray snow
- Just stick toothpicks in each of the balls. It should take 325 - 350 toothpicks per ball, spaced less than 1/4 inch apart.
- To assemble the tree, using the wreath as a base, arrange 7 balls on the wreath. Next, 5 balls sit on top of that ring, then 3, then 1.
- A pair of work gloves come in handy for working with the balls once the toothpicks are in.
- To paint the tree, you'll want to aim the spray at the toothpicks from the side (a lazy Susan or some other way to be able to spin the tree makes this much easier). Avoid spraying directly toward the center and soaking the Styrofoam. Be especially careful if using metallic paint, as it will dissolve the Styrofoam.
- If you aim only at the toothpicks, there will still be enough coverage on the balls even if there are white areas remaining. Once the spray snow is applied, it will blend nicely no matter what color you're using.
- Now spray snow all over, mostly aiming from the top down. Sprinkle glitter while the snow is still wet so that it will dry into the snow and flake off less.
Decorating options include:
- adding a string of small lights to the inside while assembling the tree
- string tiny garland and little bulbs
- use strings of beads or sequins
By Lynn from Southfield, MI
Related Content(article continues below)
Read More Comments
December 29, 20100 found this helpful
I saw this in somebody elses favorites, this will be my first favorite! Love it! This should be a fun project.
In This Guide
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on March 21, 2017 at 10:24:41 AM on 10.0.1.36 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us