Proving That a Dog is Not a Pit Bull

My dog is a mixed breed but I am being told that she is a Pit Bull and that I need vicious dog insurance. What can I do? She is not vicious, she plays with all of the neighborhood kids and is a wonderful dog.

By Laci from Hicksville, OH

You can have a DNA test done on a dog. It costs about $45.00. My niece was told she needed vicious dog insurance because her dog was a rottweiler (it looked exactly like one), but the DNA test showed it had no rottweiler in it. That test could save you a lot in insurance money. As the other poster said, those are famous last words, Pitt bulls have been known to suddenly turn vicious. Google, "DNA testing dogs".

No dog "suddenly turns" vicious. I am sure that there are warning signs in every dog attack you might be referring to in this instance. Most people just don't know how to read them.

"pitt bulls have been known to suddenly turn vicious"...I would like for you to produce a journal article or study that proves that "pit bulls" specifically are known to do this. There are actually many scientific study articles that show herding dogs to be the most commonly aggressive dog breed with most common being Australian Cattle Dog yet these dogs are commonly seen as friendly, non-fear-inducing dogs. PS: I'm a veterinarian and own a pit bull who I would trust more than any dog I've met thus far in my life.

Looks like an American bulldog to me.

Who is telling you that you need "vicious dog" insurance? Your town? Your friends? Talk to an insurance agent who can tell you what your options are. When I got my first pit, my homeowners company dropped me, but my agent was able to get me better coverage cheaper, so it really was a blessing in disguise. ALL that said, I do have what's called an "umbrella" policy that upgrades all my policies. Anyone who owns a house, drives a car or ANY kind of dog should have plenty of insurance in our society where people can and will sue over anything. Here is a picture of one of my dogs, trying to squeeze into a cat bed because the cats won't let her use the dog bed.

Well I called my insurace company and begged and pleaded and now they are going to cover her so now I have no worries and I get to keep my baby thanks so much for all ur imput it was help full to me!!

The reason, of course, that insurance companies charge more, or won't insure certain breeds of dogs is because the odds are they will have to pay off on that dog. Even if your dog is not pit, or if she is and you are able to pass her off as not pit, does not guarentee the dog won't bite or that you won't get sued if she does. I hope you live where leash laws are inforced. Every dog who has bitten has owners who have sworn the dog would not bite.

American Bulldogs do look a lot like Pit Bulls. You can probably find out from your vet where to get a DNA kit. And to Foxrun, this person was looking for help, not judgement.

I'm glad you were able to get the insurance. Ohio has BSL that makes it harder when you own a bully breed. We ended up going with Farmers Insurance. We have an American Staffordshire. I just needed to say that those people who assume that a dog is vicious, just because they are a certain breed, are ignorant! Before you go making statements, do your research. On temperament tests, bully breeds score higher than most other breeds. They have a consistently high score. By breed definition, they are human friendly, bonding very well--and are great with kids. They can be dog aggressive, if not socialized enough. BTW, a friend of ours had their boy bitten in the face by a Golden Retriever--had to get stitches and was traumatized by his experience. The dog attacked--suddenly, and unprovoked.

My sister's dog is a twin to yours and her dog is full blooded boxer. I would have DNA testing done just to see.

I have an American Bull Dog and thats what your dog looks like to me. Google em and see! :)

Your baby looks like a boxer to me. boxers have this rather narrow, triangular face with a slightly longer muzzle. Look at a bull dog's face, it's bigger, rounder, or I should say square, real heavy, blocky look to it with a shorter muzzle. They tend to be stocky, shorter legged than your baby.

Pits are not narrow and triangular headed at all. Boxers are happy go lucky goof balls. Pits are wonderful if you train them right, but are more serious than boxers. boxers are the clowns of the dog breeds. pits are often much more massive in the shoulders and across the chest than your baby, as well. I think you have a boxer mix.

Everyone needs educated that it's more the owner that creates a bully dog than the breed. let's put the blame where it belongs-and then rectify it. also, we all need trained to know the difference in looks between what are deemed to be bully dogs, and their "look alikes"...which, on a closer examination, do not really look alike. We have had enough of the fear, let's get educated!

You have a beautiful dog, looks more like an American Bulldog to me. look them up on the net and see what you think, his nose isn't squashed enough to be a boxer cross! Hope that helps :-)

I'm sorry. I don't think the dog is a Boxer. I think she looks like my Lizzie who is an American Bulldog. She is sweet and loveable and overweight. I think it's all in how they are raised. But I still use caution around kids and other animals that she is not familiar with. She is a spoiled rotten house dog, but we love her.

Pets Dogs AdviceDecember 29, 2009
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Pit Bull
Is My Pit Bull Full Blooded?
Friendly Pit Bull
Raising a Friendly Pit Bull
Pit Bull
Training a Rescued Pit Bull
🎉
🎄