Bathroom CleanersCleaning Supply Recipes

Tile Cleaner Safe for Someone With COPD

I have COPD and I can't clean my all tile shower because of odors. I don't have enough ventilation in my bathroom. Any info?

By islandmimi from Monkey Island, OK

Perhaps you could use a single edged razor blade (hardware store) to gently scrape the soap film from the tiles. Just keep the blade at a very slight angle to the tile. After it's clean, I've read that auto wax applied to the tiles (walls only) will keep the film to a minimum and make it easier to keep clean.

Anonymous

I have borderline Stage 2/3 Emphysema and the only thing I use for home cleaning (other than laundry soap, dish soap or dishwasher soap) is distilled vinegar. Depending on what is being cleaned/disinfected I use anywhere from full strength to 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water and the odor does not bother my lungs at all. It does a great job on everything and my home is sparkling clean! Your lungs will thank you. ;-)

If you're having soap scum and/or skin body oil buildup in your shower/tub just use one of the sponges you can get at almost any store where the sponge side is yellow and the scrubbing side is dark green. Also, switching to liquid soap or even inexpensive shampoo for bathing keeps from having soap scum.

In 2000, our tile in the bath was horrible. One day our housekeeper took the hand steamer, a stiff brush and vinegar and scrubbed it all which left it very clean. Since the tile looked clean and nice i had the tiler come in and regrout it.

The next is the most important step. All of our bar soap was taken out the house and we now use only body wash in the bath. Our skin no longer feels taut and tight but nice and soft, the best is this: there is no more scum of any kind. Soap goes, and you need never scrub again. A cloth with vinegar in a squirt bottle will polish it up once a week. Good luck. Laurie from Ontario