In Memory Of Rosabella (Tortoiseshell)

Rosabella (Rose for short). She was a mixed breed cat with a tortoise shell coat. This is in memory of Rose. She was a stray cat dropped off several years ago and always lived across the road.

She started coming over to see me. I started feeding her and playing with her. She had kittens at our house last summer. This spring she was expecting again and almost ready to give birth. I should have penned her up but didn't.

She has disappeared and I fear the neighbors have shot her. We saw them outside shooting at a black tomcat (her boyfriend) last week. He was running frantically in the back field. She has been gone for over 2 weeks. I fear the worst. We have coyotes around here too but I suspect foal play. This cute picture of her is what I saw each morning when she was waiting for her breakfast.

By little suzy from Millbury, Oh

Although I am a dog lover, I am sympathetic to your loss. I hope that Rosabella has found a "safe haven" and given birth to her kittens and that one day she will return to your loving home. It is a huge shame that some people feel the need to be so cruel to our 4 legged friends! Just know that God has a "special" place for anyone who is cruel to animals.

Perhaps there's still a chance Rose is alive and well with her litter of kittens. Oftentimes, cats hide their litter in a safe haven to protect them. She may be seen at your door again peering in soon with her gifts to you.

I was so sad, I couldn't stop crying when I read your post about your special morning friend, Rosabella the cat. We also have neighbors who will shoot at anything that moves (thinking it may be a raccoon). We are very careful to keep our all black cat inside most of the time, but it's hard to deal with neighbors that have no soul. Please send me a note to us if you see her again. All of us here on ThriftyFun love animals & we all pray a miracle happens & you see her again!

My daughter also feeds many stray cats & finds homes for them on Craig's List. That's how I got my special friend, our black male cat Smokey.

I too hope Rose has cashed in on one of her nine lives! If you can, I would report those @#$%^&*( to the local authorities! There are laws about shooting in public, and if you are close enough, you or yours could be hurt!

If they did get a big thrill over that, then someday they will get theirs. I promise you that Karma is a woman and you know what they say about a woman scorned.

Take solace in the knowledge that she had a wonderful friend in you and that during her time here with us, she new the good outweighed the bad. Very Sad Poor But Proud

Don't give up hope just yet. Stray cats are very protective of their young and will hide them until it is safe to bring them out. I took in a stray, called her "Hoppit" because she only had 3 and 1/2 legs, the other foot had been caught in a trap some time previous. Somehow she managed to get onto our property, over a very high mesh fence (it keeps the kangaroos out of the garden) and sort refuge with our family of 4 cats. Two weeks later she produced a litter of 8 kittens, approximately 4 weeks old. She had been hiding them in an old pallet of bricks that was behind the garage. It is really strange because they never made a sound, no meowing what-so-ever. I guess they learn from a very young age that it's safer to stay quiet. Good homes were found for all 8 kittens and a friend of mine took Hoppit. Your Rose may still be out there, where ever she is, I pray she is safe from harm, Please let us know if she returns?

Rose is a beautiful cat! I truly hope she and her kittens are okay. Please let us know. Also, I agree that you should report your neighbors.

Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder dog

May I make a suggestion of your neighbors shooting stray cats. I am sure like in most places there is an animal abuse laws there cruelty to animals. Take pictures of their actions and then call the Animal Control in your area. So you can just prove to them that they were shooting at animals in the area. Stray or not no one has the right to shoot an innocent animal that is doing no harm to them at all.

Just a thought. I know that is what I would do. As our Animal Control guy told us to do that with some stray dogs in our area.. but they are mean as all get out and they did get picked up and the owner fined for not having them properly controlled.

I am a cat lover and hope Rosabella is safe with her kittens. They do hide in a safe place when they give birth so in time Rosabella may bring her family to show you. We all will pray this will be the case. Report the lousy neighbors!

This is how the story should go. Here's a picture of Rose, a sweet little stray kitty that visited me often. I so enjoyed the time spent playing w/her, then her babies, as she gave birth in our home. Once the babies were 8 weeks old, I found good homes for them where the new parents understood the importance of spaying & neutering. I then had Rose (and her boyfriend) fixed and they lived together in our home, out of harms way of coyotes & @#%~* neighbors, for many happy years.

I truly am sorry for your loss. As a kitty mommy for most of my life and many years as a foster mom for a local shelter, I know the pain of losing a precious life. But it's up to us, to have these furry one fixed so the over population will stop and they can lead safe & healthy lives.

Below is a picture of Cinder. One of our family =^.^=

I have a rescue cat now that I took in after a divorce situation where the husband was going to shoot all the pets. She's a challenge (biting) because I don't think she was treated really well before, but we're trying.

Thank you for all your lovely thoughts about our cat Rose. The post was sent in over a month ago so you see by now we are sure she is in kitty heaven. I guess it was her time. I keep thinking about the babies though. They never had a chance. If she were still alive, I know she's be over here looking for her "goodies" at my front door. She was such a doll. She'd jump up on the window ledge and look in if she thought I hadn't seen her yet thru the door window.

Yes, I just read this and cried. I had a tortie long hair who was feisty and loved, loved long baths in the tub. She was spoiled and would scare mailmen, etc. I used to tell her one day a sweet short-hair was gonna take her place. One day a short-hair tortie just showed up and moved in. They loved each other and their home. Anyway, I miss them so much. Your tortie was adorable.

Tortoiseshell Cats
Tortoiseshell Cats
Pets Pet PagesMay 24, 2009
Display Collections In A Memory Box
Making A Memory Box
Simple square block quilt made from vintage fabric.
Making a Memory Quilt
High School Reunion
Making Memory Books for a High School Reunion
🎉
🎄