Crafts Using Cat Food Cans - Categories:

Recycled CraftsCrafts

Crafts Using Cat Food Cans

Does anyone have ideas for a craft or a good way to use cat food tins? I have two kitties and they eat a ton of food. I hate throwing them all away. They eat Fancy Feast, so it's the mini cans. Thanks!

Jola from CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Take an icepick and punch a hole in the center of the bottom of the can large enough for a pipe cleaner/chenille stick then take mixed colored paints and paint inside and out of can. I would use acrylic or indoor/outdoor craft paint and do a lot of colors. If you like while the paint is wet spread the outside with glitter or stick jewels or stuff on it. Put a button or whatever you have and hang for Christmas bells. You can make them ring with string and a steel washer.

First off, don't throw. Recycle.

I painted a bunch once and made little shadowbox photo displays with them. When you are done, epoxy them together, and then tape them together on the back with duct tape till the glue dries.

You can also crochet a circle the size of the can, fill the can with scraps of yarn, then crochet down the sides like a ladies hat pin cushion. Either whip stitch the top of the "hat" to a doily, or add some lace to the bottom and pretty it up.

You can use them as organizers for buttons, crafts supplies, office supplies, hardware, jewelry, toiletries, hair ties, and more.

Use them to start a plant, house an emergency candle, or to throw change into at the end of the day. Reuse it or refuse it!

Ooooo! What gbk suggested made me think to make wind chimes out of my Rachel's empties! :-) And I love Poor But Proud's motto of "Reuse or refuse it!"

I ran through dishwasher. Then spray painted white. Punch a small hole on each side and run craft wire through for handle. Painted a bunny face on the front and made bunny ears out of pink and white craft foam and glue on inside of front of can. Add easter grass and a few wraped candies. I did these for the children at my daughters daycare for Easter treats. You could also pass them out at nursing homes. Just be sure the cut edge has ben filed down so no sharp edges.

Great ideas. Reduce ~ Reuse ~ Recycle :-)

Gee. you can do a whole lot with those little cans. I have washed mine out, covered the outside with contact paper and filled with cat litter. I put them outside in the summertime for my guests that smoke to use as ashtrays.You can also hot glue the sides together to make a pyramid shape. Stand it up and put little mirrors in the back of them and put small nicknacks or tiny silk plants to make a display case. You can also use them to display the tiny toy cars that some people collect. Don't toss them away. There is always a use for cans. You can also bake little cakes in them. The list is endless.

Everyone's got great ideas, but my first thought was, those Fancy Feast cans seem the perfect size to hold a votive candle.

Just came up with a couple more ideas after reading the newest posts !!! Use a can opener to also remove the bottom lid and you can use as egg poaching/frying forms or cookie/bisquit cutter !!!

Thanks for all the great ideas! I love the photobox idea. I think I'm going to paint sets of them in each of my friends fav colors and then put a collage together to give each of them!

Don't open the tops, use one of the can openers that cuts without a sharp edge to open the bottom. clean it well, fill with wrapped candies. Run a bead of craft glue around the bottom, then put it back on and let it dry. make labels on your computer and use them for little gifts or wedding favors.

PIN CUSHION - Remove lid as usual. Feed Kitties. While the cats hang round your ankles begging for more -Thoroughly wash out. Take a silica gel pack that you get in electronics packaging (stops the needles rusting) and place in bottom of can fill with stuffing/old tights etc. cover with large cut circle of fabric about quarter inch wider than tin lid glue to can over the stuffing and decorate outside by gluing fabric ribbon round to cover rough edges and voila - you have a cute pin cushion!

Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 25, 2009
Tuna Cans
Uses for Tuna Cans
soft cat food
Feeding a Cat Soft Food
Coffee Can as Pencil Holder
Recycled Coffee Can Crafts
Tin Can Frog
Tin Can Animal Crafts
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 6, 2016 at 9:02:38 PM on 10.0.1.97 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.