Craft: Gingerbread Houses

Here is a great tradition that our family has been doing for years now. It all started about 50 years ago when I decide to make a gingerbread house for Christmas. My first ones were fairly simple but over the years have gotten more complicated and quite intricate. Now, as was bound to happen, the kids and grandkids and even my great grandson have taken over. I still do the bases for the houses but my son has even taken some of that construction over. The best part is that we have so much fun together. It's thrifty too cause we save the uneaten Halloween candy for some of the decorations. Here are some samples of their beautiful handiwork.

By Janet from Long Island NY

Editor's Note: We were unable to get these pictures up before Christmas but wanted to share them as inspiration for next year.

Gingerbread Houses

These are absolutely beautiful. I know how much time they take to make, and I'm amazed that you do it every year. After admiring them for decades, I decided to make a gingerbread house one season. I took months finalizing my plans, buying candies, etc. When I was putting it together, I used cans from my cupboard to hold the walls until the icing dried. It took me days to get it all done. To make a long story short, I totally built and decorated my house, only to realize that I'd left a can of soup inside it. There was no way I was going to allow anyone to break the house open to retrieve the can. I planned to let the house dry out completely, seal it with sealer, and use it as a decoration every year -- forget the can of soup. Well, it gets really hot in the summer here, and after a summer or two in storage, all my candies softened and melted and the house was a mess. At least I got a can of soup out before tossing it! I've not made another one since that fiasco.

Thanks for the inspiration. This is a tradition I have thinking about starting with my girls (ages 3 & 9). I will start next year. I guess the part about starting simple is the best advice. I know what to do, just getting started.

These are beautiful! What a nice tradition to pass down!

They are truely out of this world; what I noticed most was that the bases were shaped naturally; never thought of that!I started making them when my kids were little and now my son routinely makes one with his kiddies, as doe's my son-in-law; gotta love those traditions!!Happy New Year, 1027 Debbie

Hello. My daughter and I have this same tradition. Her and I have been making gingerbread houses since she was very small. She is now 19. She loves it . And so do I. We hot glue our pieces together when putting the sides up. We know that we wont be eating it so it doesn't matter.

Susan, I love stories like that! LOL. Sort of like building a boat in your basement and then can't get it out because it is too big! I am surprised you tried another after that fiasco! I guess all thrifty fun readers are tenacious!

What beautiful youngsters in the picture also!

Photos Holiday ChristmasJanuary 8, 2009
Making a Paper Bag Gingerbread House
Making a Paper Bag Gingerbread House
House sparrow on a fence.
Keeping House Sparrows Out of Bluebird Houses
Paper Gingerbread Men
Making Paper Gingerbread Men
Gingerbread Pancakes
Gingerbread Pancakes
🎄