Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Stickers from Plastic

A bottle of Goo Gone, great for removing stickers from plastic.

Care should be taken when removing stickers from plastic, as some solvents can react negatively with the plastic item. This is a guide about removing stickers from plastic.

Share a solution today!

Here are questions related to Removing Stickers from Plastic.

Question: Removing Stickers from Plastic

How can I get a sticker off plastic?

By LaDonna from OH

Most Recent Answer

By MrNikkiCowan05/23/2011

@paula jo carr
Amazing! I Googled this and the stickers were on an old mobile phone so wasn't about to soak anything. Just sprayed a bit of WD40 on it and Bang! The stickers were gone! Required a bit of rubbing with a cloth and peeling with my fingers but the phone looks like new and works mint. What can't this magical spray do?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Stickers from Plastic

l I desperately need to know how to remove the price tag stickers from plastic. I read a couple of feedbacks in regards to lighter fluid. Is that safe for plastic?

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

I had used lighter fluid for years and it does work. But in my quest to use and keep less chemicals in my house I now just let them soak in hot soapy water. If it's furniture you can use a sponge to keep it on the surface. (07/27/2004)

By Vicki

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

W-D 40 in a can is the only way to go. I keep a can under my sink for just such instances. In the event you don't have a can of WD-40 in the garage, vegetable or baby oil will work also. Just cover the sticker with any of the 3, and let sit for a time. The sticker should peel right off! (07/27/2004)

By Lisa

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

Nail polish remover (with acetone) will work. (07/27/2004)

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

You can use baby oil or even peanut butter. (07/27/2004)

By Ann

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

I use a product called GOO GONE. It's a citrus based product, made by Magic American Corporation. Just pour a little on the sticker let it set for a moment and rub with a rag in a circular motion and stickers and left over glue come right off. (07/27/2004)

By Laura

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

All those things work, but the safest thing I've found is Avon's Skin so soft. It works on any surface and it won't smell bad or discolor the plastic. I've even used it to remove pin stripping from a car! My husband tried Goo Be Gone and it removed the paint and it took him hours. I did it when he was at work and it took 15 minutes. He was amazed! Hope this helps. (07/28/2004)

By Toni

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

I use lemon oil to remove stickers or any type of gummy glue. (09/08/2004)

By Diana

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

Lighter fluid is the best thing I have found, it even gets the label off of prescription medicine bottles. (09/08/2004)

By lorac456

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

Rub with a soft cloth and turpentine. (03/18/2007)

By gurth

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

You can buy a product called Goof-Off which will remove all types of sticky stuff. If you get sticky stuff on your clothes try De-solve-it. This will also take out grease spots like if grease splatters on you while cooking.

Good luck. (07/28/2007)

By Michelle C.

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

To be safe, do NOT use lighter fluid as it may affect the colour of the plastic. It doesn't happen always, but who wants to risk it.

You need something greasy. I am allergic to peanuts so I used Nivea Cream. Anything oily will penetrate the paper and dissolve the glue. The thicker and glossier the paper, the longer you need to leave it. Rubbing helps. (05/16/2008)

By WARNING!!

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

Hooray! I couldn't find peanut butter at home, so I tried ordinary butter, and it worked like magic! Simply leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes, then wipe it off with a dry kitchen towel. If the surface is oily or smells buttery, just wash it with soap and it'll be 100% perfect! (07/15/2008)

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

Heat it up with hair dryer, then peel. WD-40/Goo-Gone/alcohol/nail polish remover if needed to remove annoying residue. (10/23/2008)

By pdogg

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

Butter and peanut butter are messy. WD40 smells and requires a good washing after. What worked best for me was lock de-icer that I use on my car when locks freeze up in winter. You don't have to leave it on long and the goop comes right off. (12/15/2008)

By Sergio

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

If you don't have WD-40 on hand, Tilex works as well. I used just a little bit and with minimal scrubbing, the sticker residue came off immediately. (03/02/2009)

By Tori

RE: Removing Stickers from Plastic

The best thing I have found for removing stickers from anything is mineral spirits, and the only side effect I have found is the smell, I've used it on plastic, hardwood floors, fabric (backseat of car), and painted walls, with no ill effects. My husband uses it for cleaning tar off of the car and for cleaning his metal hand tools. (03/17/2010)

By dixiedm

Archive: Removing Stickers from Plastic

I desperately need to know how to remove the price tag stickers from plastic. I read a couple of feedbacks in regards to lighter fluid. Is that safe for plastic?