BathroomHome Improvement

Re-Glazing Sink or Bathtub

Has anyone had a bathtub or sink re-glazed? I can't decide what to do re-glaze or replace my bathtub and kitchen sink, both are in good condition but the shine is gone. Does anyone know what the cost to re-glaze would be compared to buying new?

Susie from Maryland

We moved into our rental townhouse to downsize; we had the bathtub/shower combination (upstairs), the separate shower stall (downstairs), the two vanity sinks, plus the kitchen sink all reglazed 3 yrs. ago. They look lovely, however, when you clean them, you cannot use any product with bleach in them. I use Boni Ami or Bar Keepers Friend purchased at Wal-Mart much less cosly than at the grocery stores.

The cost for the reglazing was just about $250. for all of the items.

Good Luck!

Re-glazed sinks are cleaned with a limited number of products and the treatment has to dry thoroughly before use.

This may affect your plans.

If there is a chance someone will attack the surface with scouring powder, the glaze will be scratched.

I had my 50+ year old tub reglazed about 3 years ago....it's much cheaper than replacing the tub, but I'm not really that pleased with the results. It looked ok for about a year and then it has gotten a few nicks and scratches and now doesn't look a whole lot better than when I had it reglazed.

I live in NY and found that the cost of reglazing is about the same as buying a new tub. I was thinking about reglazing my tub, but heard horror stories how after a year the tub looked just as bad as before so I decided to buy a new tub. The only problem is the installation. This is where the cost goes up.

I moved into an apartment that had a 1930's or so cast iron/porcelain tub...this was the only bathroom and my family of 4 all like to take baths.The tub had been re glazed, I think twice. I know this because after about 6 months, the glaze began to crack, and peel.

We're all light haired, and occasionally, I'd pull a dark hair from the glaze...once it cracked, it was scratchy, the paint chips would end up under our fingernails and HURT, and it was impossible to clean, and ugly.

I ended up scraping off much of the glaze to the water line.

I would rather patch chips than reglaze.

My parents built their house in the 1970s and put in 2 fiberglass tub/shower units. One is light blue, the other one is (very unfortunately) harvest gold. Mom has hung a fabric shower curtain across the tub and redecorated, and unless you are taking a shower, you don't notice.

Although if it was my guest bathroom, I'd probably try that white tub paint...