SewingCrafts

Matching Bathroom Accessories

I originally purchased two flat sheets and made a duvet to match the bedroom drapes. We sold our 3-bedroom home in 2008 and moved into a 2-bedroom apartment. I acquired another comforter at a garage sale, and no longer needed the duvet.

I didn't have the heart to throw it away, so I cut all the seams and made a shower curtain. I use a cheap liner for inside the bathtub. I had one remaining bed sheet and didn't know what to do with it. Then I posed the question to the ThriftyFun community, and several folks gave me all kinds of ideas.

I was finally determined and set my mind to finishing this sewing project that I put on the back burner. The bathmat sewing instructions said to use two worn out towels, but I decided to buy a new towel at the dollar store. I didn't have the heart to cut the towel into sections and instead doubled it over and sewed the sides. I ran into problems sewing on the border probably because I decided not to cut the towel as the instructions had indicated on the website.

The toilet tank lid and the seat cover said to add 2 inches all around. But I modified the pattern and added 3 inches and also sewed the 1/4 inch elastic onto the fabric instead of sewing the casing, and then threading elastic through the casing with a pin.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Source:

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Editor's Note: The original request is archived below.

You have made a lovely cottage bathroom.

That is so beautiful, it encourages me to do the same thing! Just beautiful and you can get things like fabric off of freecycle.org What a great way to recycle or even buy new material and make the room more beautiful. Thank you for posting!

What a wonderful idea. It looks so inviting. Thanks for sharing. What's next? LOL

Wow, wow, wow, girl, this is gorgeous! I craft a lot (in fact I have a post for bulletin board yo yo's). But this is absolutely gorgeous and inspiring, so I am voting for you! :)

Thanks for sharing, Carol

Beautiful job you did. Love the flowers so much. Makes me think about doing mine the same way.

Wish there was more time in the day. LOL