Matching Bathroom Accessories

I originally purchased two flat sheets and made a duvet to match the bedroom drapes. We sold our 3-bedroom home in 2008 and moved into a 2-bedroom apartment. I acquired another comforter at a garage sale, and no longer needed the duvet. Three photos of accessories.

I didn't have the heart to throw it away, so I cut all the seams and made a shower curtain. I use a cheap liner for inside the bathtub. I had one remaining bed sheet and didn't know what to do with it. Then I posed the question to the ThriftyFun community, and several folks gave me all kinds of ideas.

I was finally determined and set my mind to finishing this sewing project that I put on the back burner. The bathmat sewing instructions said to use two worn out towels, but I decided to buy a new towel at the dollar store. I didn't have the heart to cut the towel into sections and instead doubled it over and sewed the sides. I ran into problems sewing on the border probably because I decided not to cut the towel as the instructions had indicated on the website.

The toilet tank lid and the seat cover said to add 2 inches all around. But I modified the pattern and added 3 inches and also sewed the 1/4 inch elastic onto the fabric instead of sewing the casing, and then threading elastic through the casing with a pin.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Editor's Note: The original request is archived below.

Bath mat.

You have made a lovely cottage bathroom.

That is so beautiful, it encourages me to do the same thing! Just beautiful and you can get things like fabric off of What a great way to recycle or even buy new material and make the room more beautiful. Thank you for posting!

What a wonderful idea. It looks so inviting. Thanks for sharing. What's next? LOL

Wow, wow, wow, girl, this is gorgeous! I craft a lot (in fact I have a post for bulletin board yo yo's). But this is absolutely gorgeous and inspiring, so I am voting for you! :)

Thanks for sharing, Carol

Beautiful job you did. Love the flowers so much. Makes me think about doing mine the same way.

Wish there was more time in the day. LOL

April 21, 2010 Flag

Shower Curtain

The real estate market has fallen in a terrible slump this year. In spite of it all we were very lucky that our house sold in less than 48 hours. We give all our Praise to the Lord for the answer to our prayers.

Ten years ago I designed all my own drapes from bed sheets, and also made a matching duvet cover. All draperies were left in the house when it sold. But I took my duvet cover when we moved into a 2-bedroom apartment. I cut off all the seams and make a fabric shower curtain that covers the plastic shower curtain liner for our bathroom.

I have one flat sheet left over and need some suggestions from the ThriftyFun community. The bathroom in our apartment does not have a window, but I need some ideas as to what to make for my bathroom that will match my shower curtain. I want to thank you in advance!

MCW from Lewiston, NY

Making Bathroom Items To Match Shower Curtain

I'm sure you will get great ideas, but lining a series of baskets for wash clothes, toiletries with same material is one thought. Line fabric with batting and more fabric, machine quilt for toilet top cover and toilet seat cover. Use some of fabric to make 1 inch or so ties about 12 or more inches long and have one lined basket for guest occasions. Use ties to make a bow around a bundle of rolled washcloth/towel sets . (08/26/2008)

If you have the wall space you could put a large mirror on the wall and make some curtains to line the outline of the mirror like a window. It would give the illusion of a window and work as a mirror as well. (08/27/2008)

By sis

Have you thought of using strips of fabric as decoration on the bottom edge of your towels? I have seen high end towels that had a decorative strip of fabric an inch or two from the bottom and only a few inches in width. Etsy has scores of them ranging from $15 each (for hand towels) and up. (08/27/2008)

By Amber

You could get a large square mirror and make a pretend window with a curtain. Or an old barn window (if that would match the rest of the house) and put pictures in the panes and then the curtain tied back so it sort of seems like you're looking out the window. I did that and used pictures from my garden once and from a calender another time. (08/27/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

A tank and lid cover for your toilet?

A skirt for the sink (unless it sits in a cabinet) ?

Wastebasket cover :

Tissue Box Cover :

You could trim 2 or 3 towels:

Here's a hanging towel with ties:

Another Type Towel :

Basket Liner:

Basket Liner for a Rectangle Basket:

This isn't the TP holder I was looking for but it's cute ! I have never seen it until now!

Towel Topper:

Bath Bags:

Door Handle Decoration:

You could use a strip of the bedding wide enough and long enough to tie a pretty bow around your bottle of liquid soap or tie the same around guest soaps.

I can't find a pattern right now for the TP holder I wanted to link you with but it is simple and quick. It involves a piece of rectangular cloth you sew pockets into that are open on both ends for the tp to slide into and hang it. Something like this but holds 3 or more rolls!

If I ever find I will edit this post! I hope this helps!

By melody_yesterday

You might also frame a vertical section of the floral pattern for instant matching wall art. If you have a spare photo mat lying around, paint it to accent the flowers -- maybe the pink or blue shade -- and it will really make the pattern pop! (08/28/2008)

By sigma28

By sigma28

You could wrap some of the fabric and glue on the outside of the trash can. (08/28/2008)

By meluvchris418

Bed Sheet Tent
Uses for Bed Sheets
Crafts SewingApril 21, 2010
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Shirts on Sale
Tips for Price Matching
Saving Money on Fashion Accessories
Saving Money on Fashion Accessories