Icemaker Doesn't Work on Samsung Three Door Refrigerator

I have a 2008 Samsung refrigerator that is a 3 door with the freezer in the bottom. As soon as the warranty was over the ice maker broke. It is the kind that twists as it dumps the ice. It would make ice, but the cubes were stuck together. They were like a large cube of ice that I had to chip out.

The temperature probe got stuck in the block of ice. When I opened the door for ice it pulled out of the ice maker. Now I get no ice at all. I can feel ice in the tray, but it does not dump at all. They are all plastic and when plastic freezes and is twisted, it breaks.

Why would they make such an odd way to do ice? Is there a recall on Samsung refrigerators like this one? The model is #RF265ABWP. It is a 26 cubic foot unit. I love the concept of French doors and the freezer in the bottom, but I also like ice on demand. Has anyone heard anything about others having this problem? Or of recalls on the freezer unit?

Can an ice maker from any other refrigerator be installed in it? There are nice ice makers from other models, even other brands that are long lasting and work with metal parts instead of plastic.

By Sandy from Redkey, IN

Answers

If the only problem were the sorry ice maker, I'd be all right with this fridge, after all it's pretty and cools well. What has happened twice with mine is that the ice maker water filter located in the right top back has cracked/ broken/whatever and water pours out of it as if there is someone holding a full force water hose inside the fridge. Everything fills with water and it pours out onto the floor flooding the entire area. This has happened twice about a year apart, both times during the night,so you get up to a flooded kitchen, loss of food, damaged floor, an all around gigantic mess. The first time i thought it was my fault, that i had put something too close to the filter so since I've been really careful to leave lots of space around and away from it. Well that didn't work either. My husband, an engineer, says the filter is freezing and splitting open as a result. I have disabled the puny, slow ice maker and will never use it again! I can't wait to replace this fridge and would not buy another one!

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesJuly 1, 2010
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
fridge
Icemaker Overfills the Ice Bin
🎄