Trouble With Briggs and Stratton Lawn Mower

I just bought a used lawnmower with a 4.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton engine. It doesn't really run properly. It starts fine, but then runs sporadically. The plug is the one that came with it and I can't find the proper gap or right plug specification. It's almost like there is a carburetor issue as it idles up and down. What can I do about it?

By MikefromGA from Raleigh, NC

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Here is a site I found. It might be of some help if you can find the engine number or serial number, and also they have manuals which you can look at and find out the answer to your question.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/

Robyn

The gap should be around .030. Replace the air filter and give it a tune up.

September 12, 2010 Flag

My Briggs and Stratton Weedeater push mower is not starting. It seems to not get any spark and I have a new spark plug, new gas, and oil.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2010 Flag

I have 17.5 Briggs and Stratton. I hit something while mowing the lawn and now when you start the engine oil mixed with gas pours into the carburetor. It does start, it runs for 5 seconds then trouble starts. It looks like it's coming from rubber tube connected to the side of engine that connects to the base that mounts to the carburetor. It is a riding lawn mower, if that matters. Please help I'm in a bind. Can it be the shear key?

By Dudemay from LA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 13, 2009 Flag

I have a 4.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton Engine on my lawn mower. It's only 2 years old, but has never really run properly. It starts fine, but then runs sporadically.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersSeptember 12, 2010
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 5:11:28 AM on 10.0.2.19 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.