Reusing Embroidery From Old Shirts

Tips for reusing embroidery from worn out clothing.

Use Embroidery On Other Clothing Items

You could use them to decorate jeans or cloth purses.

By Perfumed fan

Make A Memory Quilt or Reuse Embroidery as a Patch

I know this isn't all that relevant, but I reused lots of my childrens' embroidered clothing by stitching them all together to make a kind of memory quily wallhanging, still a work-in-progress. But in the past, I've managed to reuse embroidery simply by cutting it off the original garment with a border and simply turning the fabric underneath the patch. Or even using a chain stitch, satin stitch, running stitch or anything else round the edge as a border. I've also cut right up to the edge of the embroidery "patch" then ironed on some interfacing to the back to stop fraying, then hand sewed onto a garment. And lastly I have used fray-stop fabric glue for the same reason. I've had some disasters, but mostly a combination of these methods has worked really well!

By Lesley

Cut It Out Carefully

I had a sweat shirt with my name and family crest on it. The shirt wore out but the logo looked good. I cut it out very carefully (like cutting paper dolls), and then stitched it to a new shirt. Looks good.

By Sassfrass

Collect Them For A Quilt Or Wall Hanging

I have been collecting embroidery items, old and new. I am planning a wall hanging or lap quilt. I need to learn how to do a cross stitch that i want to use to join the fabric together. Since some are on silk and other fabrics, I will probably have to make more than one. Some will be washable and others may not be. I am absolutely thrilled when i find dragons, and other oriental symbols. Good thrifting to all!

By Izygranny, NC

Feel free to post your ideas below.

I made a themed skirt out of Winnie-the Pooh themed characters. I had converted a pair of jeans into a skirt, and accidentally cut a small hole in the front when trimming the seam allowance. I had a couple of worn tees with Winnie and Tigger on them. I used the images to applique over the hole. The 2 looked lonely, so I decided to add more. I bought baby/children's clothes ar garage sales and thrift stores, until I had enough to make a border around the bottom of the skirt. I get lots of compliments when I wear it. I am cirrently collecting flower images to applique to a khaki skirt.

You could use the saved embroidery to make a unique piece of your own.

Crafts Halloween CostumesNovember 7, 2007
Embroidery Machine
Troubleshooting an Embroidery Machine
closeup of sewing machine needle
Free Motion Embroidery Ideas
Punch Needle Embroidery
Punch Needle Embroidery Tips and Tricks
Flannel Shirts
Uses for Old Flannel Shirts