Getting Rid of Robins

My Mother is having trouble with a determined robin who insists on building its nest under the eve of the roof at the edge of the garage door. She keeps cleaning it out, but the robin comes back with more stuff. Now the robin has moved to the front porch and is trying to build the nest in a wreath on the porch. Any suggestions to get it to go somewhere else. Some people have suggested a rubber snake or an owl. Thanks in advance for any help.

By Ladydi1947 from FL

She could try to hang a rubber or plastic jointed snake in that area. Although that may present a whole other problem, if she is easily frightened by snakes, or likely to forget it is there.

Why not just enjoy it. Robins grow quickly and in 4 or 5 weeks they will be gone. We had a nest in the wreath by our front door so we got to see the eggs and babies at many different stages. We only use our front door once a day or so, opting for the side or garage door while the nest was active. We even got beautiful pics, took one every Saturday till surprise, empty nest and three healthy babies still being fed by mom in our front bushes. I hope they come back nest year!

I would be delighted with this but, if it is impossible to leave them, then I'd suggest placing one of the fake robins ( you usually get them around Xmas for decorations) on the wreath or nest. Robins are quite territorial and that might be enough to drive them away.

Try supplying her with an area of your choosing where she could build her nest. If you provide her with a sheltered shelf or ledge in an area more appropriate for where you want it, she will probably happily take over that spot and leave your eaves alone.

I'd love to have that problem, but understand; it can get messy. I have seen our local pool put styrofoam cups in the ledge, or even nylon/nylon net or wire scrubbers stuffed in the site.

I stopped birds from building a nest when I crushed up a plastic bag from walmart and put it where they were building. They left the area.

Nesting Robin
Deterring Nesting Birds
Home and Garden Pest Control BirdsMay 4, 2009
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Black Charcoal Grill with lid closed on a white background
Keeping Birds from Nesting in a BBQ
Keeping Birds Away