Inexpensive Ideas for Bedroom Organization and Makeover

My room is messy! I have tons of clothes that end up everywhere. I have a guinea pig and a queen sized bed that takes up practically my whole room. My room is also pink and girly, not my thing. Can anyone help me with organization and ideas for a bedroom makeover? I need ideas that won't cost me a fortune.

By lexa3 ny girl from NY

Buy some under the bed storage bins and use them for sweaters and shoes etc. that are not worn often, you can get bed stilts to use higher bins. Find a shoe organizer to fit over your closet or bedroom door for your socks and underwear. You could maybe get rid of the head and foot boards and just use a bed frame, this will take some bulk away and make it look roomier. Add some artwork above the bed for the headboard look. Buy some hangers with hooks at the necks that allow you to hang another onto it. Hang two rods in the closet, one for tops and another for bottoms. Target has drawer dividers you can buy to divide your drawers for easier location of items. You can also find old suitcases to stack that will store out of season clothes and you could use for your night stand. Good luck. :)

The first thing to do is declutter. Do you really need "tons of clothes". Get rid of anything that is too small, not really your thing, worn and ripped. Reduce your inventory.

Yonder178 has some really good ideas. Try some of those. As well, get at least one, perhaps two clothes baskets for your dirty clothes, so that things that you have worn do not get tossed onto the floor.

You didn't mention a closet and dresser. Hopefully there is a closet and you have a dresser. If there is no room in the room for clothes storage, get a smaller bed. A queen is lovely, but if you are desperate for space, get a single bed.

As far as decorating, paint is the most inexpensive thing to use. Choose a color that you like, and cover up the pink. A change of bedspread does wonders for the decor. If I was a teenager with very little money, I would get a new bedspread first, and if I couldn't afford to paint the room, cover the walls totally with posters. My son covered his walls with posters from his playstation magazine. I also got a large collection of movie posters from a movie rental place. They gave me the old ones. My son even put posters on his ceiling. You also will want to change your window coverings to something that matches your new bedspread. If you are on a strict budget, you might find curtains and bedspread at yard sales or at a thrift store. If you go wild on the walls with posters and such, you can go with something plain, a solid color, for the bed and windows.

Another thing that one of my sons did was to create a mural on his bedroom wall. He glued pictures cut from magazines, creating a large collage of his favorite images. He just glued them on with gluestick. Now, getting them off may be a problem, but I am pretty sure that something like a steam cleaner would take them off. (I left his dad, the kids and I moved to a different house, and the mural became his dad's problem!)

Here are some suggestions:

If you want to paint over the pink but you don't want to spend a lot of money go to Wal-Mart, or Home Depot and look for what I call the Oops Paint. Usually this is paint that didn't mix the color someone thought they wanted and you can get it at 50% off. I have painted almost my whole house with it, you just can't go in and have an exact color in mind. If you are interested in a sophisticated look for your bedroom black and white decor with a bold wall color like a plum is a good idea.

Something I did for a headboard was take a piece of wood board and painted it yellow (my room is more of a turquoise) and put a chandelier decal on it (Target). You can get acrylic paint at Michaels for the wood or go when the canvases are on sale and use that.

I had the same problem with cloths so what I did was go to the Dollar Tree and bought the thick plastic storage bags use that for rotating Summer and Winter cloths. They come in different sizes, you just squeeze the air out, seal and store some place like under your bed.

The rods in closets are usually pretty easy to move and if you can find an extra (yard sale, thrift store or in someones old junk) you can put in your closet and almost double the space. If at all possible you can get a shelf above the rods in your closet and get inexpensive storage boxes for cloths to fold. I got a 3 piece set that just have little snaps from Wal-Mart for around $6. One is for personals, one is for shirts that don't need to be hung, and one is for pj's.

If you really like shoes you can consider looking at thrift stores for floating shelves (I found 4 at Good Will for .99 a piece) and display them as art. Lots of hooks for handbags and purses (also can be art) and one on the back of your door for a laundry bag. When the bag is full take it to be washed.

I hope this helps, I've been there and know it can be hard.

beautiful green tone bedroom
Inexpensive Bedroom Makeovers
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating BedroomAugust 5, 2010
Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Teen Bedroom
Bookshelf Makeover
soccer ball sculpture
Decorating a Bedroom With a Sports Theme
Painted Screen Partition
Partitioning a Bedroom in an Apartment