Don't Let Your Dryer Cool Down

The biggest mistake I found I have made in doing my laundry is letting the dryer cool off in between loads! It dawned on me that each time that happens the dryer has to be REHEATED, starting all over. If you pay closer attention as you empty one dryer load and have the next one ready to go to save a little bit of that heat!

I am still using my cousin's washer/dryer that came with the house and it is older, the timer is broken on the dryer so I don't start loads at bedtime or when I will be gone because it can't shut itself off! When I know the load is small and requires less dry time after I know the dryer is warm enough, I shut it off and let it finish drying with the heat already inside it, the same as do when I bake in the oven. Then hang the clothes up on hangers on a rod so they won't be as wrinkled if they are at all!

The second biggest mistake I make in the laundry room is using too much SOAP! After stain treatment, my laundry isn't all that dirty to require the full measure of soap so I find that 1/2 the cup is plenty. When I open the lid to stop the cycle and look, there are always lots of suds even though I am cutting back on the soap! Sometimes I will mix an off brand with a better brand and I am just as satisfied with the results!

By melody_yesterday

By law, the instructions on the detergent box/bottle give the amount needed to saturate the laundry/water. You should not really use this much. Also, it almost never takes into account the washer's capacity. One can easily cut the amount of detergent in half (or less) and get their laundry just as clean. Since soap attracts dirt, you don't want any extra left in your clothes after washing them. This in itself will double how long the detergent lasts and the life of your clothes.

Great advice! I tend to do my laundry as quick as possible and I hadn't realized I was using my dryer consistently. I don't dry my clothes to an absolute dry condition. It's too hard on the fabrics. I was reading recently about how much soap to use and the advice given was 2 tablespoons for front loaders. It is way too hard on the machine and clothes to use the amount the manufacturers of soap want you to use. Thanks for your tip.

This is true of any heating appliance that you want to continue using. For example, if I'm toasting more than 2 slices of bread, I toast them in rapid succession so that the coils don't cool off. Likewise for an electric griddle, toaster oven, etc.

Of note, your advice is more applicable to electric dryers than gas dryers because gas flames heat the air nearly instantly. In other words, the flame is always at its maximum temperature whereas an electric coil needs to warm up.

Suds used to be a good judge of soapiness but after the US government banned phosphates from laundry detergent, they became low sudsing. Some brands will generate very few bubbles even when there is an adequate amount of detergent. This is even truer now with High Efficiency (HE) soaps made front loaders and high efficiency top loaders. You will often see no suds at all. So the best advice is to follow the directions and not rely on the amount of suds. In your case, of course, having too much suds definitely meant that you used too much detergent!

Good article explaining HE laundry detergent, i.e. suds:

Good Consumer Reports article

Clothes Dryer
Clothes Dryer Tips
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMarch 14, 2008
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?