Repairing Purse Handles

The vinyl, circular handles on my purse have cracked badly. As a temporary fix before I can find another purse, I taped over the handles, then covered them with braided-type strips. I was able to conceal the beginning strip, but not the end strip. Any ideas on how I can "cauterize" the end strip so it doesn't unravel? I'm stumped and would appreciate suggestions from ThriftyFun friends! Thanks a bunch!

By caseye from Plano, TX

Thread the end of the strip through a large-eyed needle then run it down under the area where you wound it around the handle, then cut the strip.

The braid I used is way too wide to put through a large-eyed needle. I taped the end of the braid so it wouldn't unravel, then took a large-eyed needle and threaded it with heavy-duty thread to try to sew the taped end of the braid to the piece next to it. I'm just hoping to get some ideas of how to seal the end of the braid permanently so it doesn't unravel.

Hum I'm wondering if you could somehow start over and cut the ends diagonally then touch them to an empty inverted heated tin can bottom over a low flame, experimenting with a piece first to see how much time/heat it takes to melt/cauterize the material?

Then, perhaps, you could glue the melted slant to the old material, tucking the very tips into the edge where the old straps began? Not seeing what you are working with is hard to envision, but still another idea might be to just begin again all over and go with a smaller braid and tuck the braid back under itself as you begin, gluing and clothespinning one end until dry before

trying to wrap the rest of the handle, then gluing the other end when you are through, letting it dry overnight under the clothespins?

I'm also wondering if your old strap might break into with a little weight, making all of your new work of no value? Have you considered sewing and gluing the cracked vinyl strap at each crack to reinforce it and letting it dry very well before you tape? If would give you double strength just in case the tape isn't going to be enough? God bless and help you. : )

Pink Purse on White Background
Repairing Purses
Home and Garden Repair OtherMay 11, 2009
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Plarn coin purse.
Plarn Coin Purse
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Purse decorated with CDs.
Making a CD Purse