Removing Rust Stains from Aluminum Siding

I have a mobile home that has aluminum siding with rust from many years of moisture running down the sides. What is the best way to remove it without causing problems with the paint underneath?

By Steve from Kellogg, ID

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

A mobile home that I bought had a horrible rust stain on one part of the skirting; I simply got some of Zessler's I think it is called Bulleyes 1 2 3 or something like that; it is a primer; I put it on the entire skirting and it covered it completely and looked great! I did later paint it with aluminum paint from Lowe's that was recommended. That solved the problem!

Since mine was white, the primer was white, and then the new paint was also white.

Is there any way you can put a drain in to divert the water from coming down in the same spot all the time? and if so, would THAT cover the rust? Most "rust" is not going to go away, and if it is simply discoloration from water going down it, try scrubbing it with a simple solution of sudsy water, with a non abrasive scrubber. If the rust is truly rust, the paint should be gone in that area; and then that is when you will need to primer the area; and then paint over it. Good luck! You will find that Valspar ultra premium paint from Lowe's is made for aluminum; it is thick paint; different from any I have used before. It does cover in one coating, and a gallon goes a very long ways!

Aluminum does not rust. Metal must be something like steel or iron. Perhaps WD-40 will work.

Row of holiday trailers in a park.
Cleaning Aluminum Siding
Home and Garden Cleaning MetalSeptember 24, 2010
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Cleaning Vinyl Siding, A woman scrubbing the siding of her house.
Cleaning Vinyl Siding
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 3:40:22 PM on 10.0.1.54 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.