Place Mouse Trap in Paper Bag

When trapping mice using the spring-type mouse traps, place in a paper bag. When the mouse is caught, pick up the bag and discard. Also, the first time you set up the trap, add bait, but don't set the trap. The next time, set the trap. This will sometimes "fake-out" the mouse, and it may be more willing to go after the bait in the set trap.

Source: A friend.

By mkymlp from NE PA

I have traps placed in all of our barns & outbuildings since we have problems keeping cats due to predators. I use a piece of cat food smeared with peanut butter on one side. Wedge the piece of cat food under the clamp of a spring style mouse trap with the peanut butter facing down. It is almost impossible for the mouse to remove the food without springing the trap.

Mice also usually will run along walls so traps should be placed at a right angle with walls for the best catch. I also do not like to pick up the traps so I use a bag to pick up the trap and fold over the edge of the bag to release the spring so the mouse drops in the bag without having to touch it. Because I have a "trap line", I need to reuse my traps til they wear out and need to be replaced.

Your friend is smart, but I agree with releasing the mouse into the bag without discarding the trap. I'm sure it would take practice to do this without soiling your hands, but it's better than constantly buying new mouse traps. You might consider rubber gloves until you learn the release technique.