My Dog Won't Eat

I have a 6 month old Rott/Huskey mix. All she gets is dry food, never human or canned food. Occasionally she gets a raw diet. I have tried foods from Blue Buffalo down to Eukanuba and she eats it for three weeks, then she will just sniff at it then walk away. I do not want to give her foods with many by products or brands such as Iams, Puppy Chow, Old Roy, etc. It was hard for me to even get Eukanuba.

She's done this since we got her 3 months ago. When she's around other dogs she eats just fine. I don't know what to do and I want to stop wasting so much food. Please help!

By Sarah A

Best Answer

Wait it out. Most likely, she will eat if she's hungry, and may be getting confused by the frequent food changes. I personally have a picky dog and found that he just likes to nibble little bits through the day rather than gobbling up everything in sight like my prior dogs. He ends up getting plenty of food through grazing. The vet said that was fine. When other dogs are around, your dog probably eats because it knows the food will disappear if it doesn't, mine just lets the other dogs (or at my house sometimes it's the cats) eat his food, he knows I'll feed him later. I did notice that if I gave him a biscuit treat it would get the juices flowing and he would always go eat a little food so you could try that. If you're concerned about it though, you can try putting a little water or broth on the food to make a gravy to see if that's tempting, a little bit of soft food on top would do the same thing. That didn't help with Mason though. Ah well, the doctor says it's better for us to eat small meals throughout the day too, right?

Best Answer

I have had dogs for over 40 years; Great Danes and Aussies. Some times they will go off their food depending on the weather, and some times they are just not hungry. When it is hot they eat a lot less. Some dogs will stop eating because they have learn that you will change the food and get some thing different. Don't do it! You will end up with a picky eater. As long as the dog isn't losing weight and isn't sick it will go back to eating, just give it time and make sure you get a good dog food.

Also if you are giving a lot of treats stop. Why eat dog food when you can get treats. Most dog wont go to long with out eating. When I work as a dog groomer that was the biggest complain people had was their dogs wouldn't eat. I have never had a problem with any of my dogs not eating. I hope this helps.

I really don't like doing this but the only way my dog will eat his dry food is if I put a little olive oil on it. Olive oil is good for their skin but I'm afraid of him putting on too much weight so I measure about a teaspoon. I was making a dogies meat loaf that mine ate for a few months, then all of a sudden it refuses to eat that.