Disposal Backs Up Into Sink

My disposal gets clogged, when using the dishwasher and backs up into sink. How can I stop this?

By rooney72 from NY

Best Answer

When I moved into an apartment that had both a dishwasher and garbage disposal(which was the first time I'd had either) I had that problem, too. The maintenance mad said you should always run the disposal before running the dishwasher. The water from the dishwasher will still back up into the sink that has the disposal in it, but at least you won't get whatever you have dumped into the disposal. If anybody has more information on this it might be helpful.

Best Answer

As a property manager, I have had my share of this. There are some really good things to do.

One, don't put things like celery or potato skins down the disposal, as they are stringy and starchy, and gum things up.

Two, run water before and after you use the disposal.

Three, once a week, throw in a few ice cubes and coffee grounds to keep the blades sharp.

Four, if the trap is clogged, it's just a couple of turns with a wrench or even your hand (PVC is easy) with a tub or big bowl under neath. For those "plumbing challenged" folks, that is the "U" shaped one under the sink. Clean it out, reattach and you are good to go.

I've done baking soda and vinegar several times and cleaned out both traps. Still bubbling over and not draining. What next, please?

Anonymous
Best Answer

After doing something dumb... putting down 24 egg shells down my disposal, my sink backed up... tried plunging both sides and then it backed up into my dishwasher. I never did any kind of plumbing and thought I'd have to call a plumber to empty the trap and fix it. After reading your blog, I tried to do it myself. Taking the trap apart was easy (no tools!) and was fixed in five minutes without a service call. Thank you!