Disposal Backs Up Into Sink

My disposal gets clogged, when using the dishwasher and backs up into sink. How can I stop this?

By rooney72 from NY

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

When I moved into an apartment that had both a dishwasher and garbage disposal(which was the first time I'd had either) I had that problem, too. The maintenance mad said you should always run the disposal before running the dishwasher. The water from the dishwasher will still back up into the sink that has the disposal in it, but at least you won't get whatever you have dumped into the disposal. If anybody has more information on this it might be helpful.

Best Answer

As a property manager, I have had my share of this. There are some really good things to do.

One, don't put things like celery or potato skins down the disposal, as they are stringy and starchy, and gum things up.

Two, run water before and after you use the disposal.

Three, once a week, throw in a few ice cubes and coffee grounds to keep the blades sharp.

Four, if the trap is clogged, it's just a couple of turns with a wrench or even your hand (PVC is easy) with a tub or big bowl under neath. For those "plumbing challenged" folks, that is the "U" shaped one under the sink. Clean it out, reattach and you are good to go.

I've done baking soda and vinegar several times and cleaned out both traps. Still bubbling over and not draining. What next, please?

Best Answer

After doing something dumb... putting down 24 egg shells down my disposal, my sink backed up... tried plunging both sides and then it backed up into my dishwasher. I never did any kind of plumbing and thought I'd have to call a plumber to empty the trap and fix it. After reading your blog, I tried to do it myself. Taking the trap apart was easy (no tools!) and was fixed in five minutes without a service call. Thank you!

Woman using a plunger on a kitchen sink
Garbage Disposal Backs Up Into Sink
Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingJuly 2, 2009
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Plunging Clogged Toilet
Plunging Clogged Toilet Backs Up Into Sink
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 3:42:55 PM on 10.0.1.151 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.