Straightening Permed Hair

I just got a perm last week and I hate it. Now I want my natural straight hair back. Will it get messed up or fall out if i get it straighten? Please help me.

Nicole from Methuen, MA

Believe it or not if you had natural straight hair it will relax again on its own without causing further damage to it by trying to straighten it. To many chemicals on it too soon will burn it up. Each night wet your hair and put conditioner on it that is for treated hair and let it set on your hair while wrapped up in a towel for 20 minutes, this will give the dry hair its moisture back. Try not to blow dry your hair for awhile just let it air dry if possible after you have conditioned well. after 4 weeks you should see a great difference in the relaxing of it.

Most times its the ends that were damaged worst by the perm so maybe getting a 1-2 inch trim on the ends in 4 weeks after its relaxed some will cut off that burnt ends, make you feel better and start your new hair to grow back which will boost your natural straight hair again.

You can wear your hair up until then in clips so it does not look so full and bushy and will make you feel better too until it relaxes on its own. don't curl it with curling iron or rollers or braid it for that will just make it want to spring more. good luck.

As long as your hair is in good condition all you have to do (or have your stylist do) is use the same perm solution but gently comb it through the hair and leave on five or ten minutes. Rinse and then apply neutralizer and gently comb and leave on for five minutes. Shampoo and then condition and you're hair will be straight again. I am a licensed Cosmetologist of over thirty years and as long as your hair is in good condition and not overly chemically processed your hair will be just fine. I've done reverse perms several times in my career, including my own hair. Let us know what you decide :-)

Definitely get professional help. If the salon that did this won't help you or if you feel uneasy about their ability to take care of the problem without wrecking your hair, find a different salon.

You can buy product's over the counter to straighten your hair if you do not get any satisfaction from the place who did your hair,which more then likely may happen.If you really get desperate before they came out with product's to straighten hair I was so upset with mine I ironed it with your normal everyday iron,and then used more conditioner then I normally do and well I was DESPERATE it looked like something out of a 1930's movie and I had to attend a wedding the next day there was nothing out there worked but I had allot of body to my hair something I never had before.Good Luck I know just how you feel.Darlene

First try shampooing and deep conditioning every day for a week. It may relax to the point where you like it. If not, buy a gentle perm from a supply house like Sally's that sells to the general public. Ask for a gentle one like "One for All." Mis and pour the part A solution (starting at roots) on your hair and comb through with large comb. Contineue combine until you see the hair straighten out. Read instructions for length of leave perm solution on. Rinse out for 5 minutes with warm water. Apply neutralizer part B in the same way. Leave on 5 minutes. Rinse with tepid water. Condition.

Don't use a chemical straightener! Your hair may very well break off and/or fall out. Chemical straighteners are very, very strong. I would suggest that you just wash it over and over and over. Use a deep conditioner over and over too. This will relax it some. I've heard of women using a perm to straighten their hair some. They just comb the perm solution in their hair and rinse it when the time is up. Then comb the neutralizer in it for the right amount of time and then rinse. I wouldn't try this myself because it will damage the hair too. Just wash it like crazy and learn to style it until it grows out. That's one great thing about hair. It always will grow out. Good luck! God Bless!

Why not go back to the place where you got your perm and let them figure out how to make it look nice? I got a perm, hated it, had no idea how to fix it (I brushed it out) and she was very understanding, helped me with styling ideas and that's all it took for me to get it right.

I hated my perm so the solution is to get a perm kit, follow the instructions as if perming but just comb through straight for 20 minutes, keeping the hair as tight as possible. Result my straight hair back!do condition well!!...Don't suffer just straighten.

February 27, 2009 Flag

I just got a perm two days ago. She left perm solution on way too long, 30-35 minutes. My hair looks awful, dry, frizzy, with no curls! I could just cry. I want to straighten it back but am afraid it will fall out. Is there anything I can do without ruining it further? Please help, I can stand this bush of hair!

Avrianna from TN

Straightening Permed Hair

The same exact thing happened to my mom. The worst thing you could do is to straighten your hair. So I advise you not to. Let your hair thicken up. Put hair growth cream in several times a day. Keep your hair moisturized. You can even add grease to make your hair stronger. If you don't feel like doing all that, get braids. Don't worry. Your hair will get back to normal in no time.

By Sierra

Straightening Permed Hair

Go back to the salon and tell them you want it reversed. They can do it, and it won't hurt your hair if it's done properly. I have been through it with my daughter. This time when she got tired of her perm growing out, she uses a flat straightener on it, it's time consuming, but it works, and she hasn't had any breakage. Just keep it well-conditioned. (12/31/2008)

Straightening Permed Hair

Seek Professional advice right now! Speak to a salon owner who does hair when making your inquiries, and I would even visit a different salon to get a second opinion.

By Dedeswrkshop

Straightening Permed Hair

I had a different problem. Once, I had a perm for eleven months and although it wasn't curly, it had body which I liked. I was visiting some friends and used their shampoo in the shower. Well, I was unaware that it was one of the straightener shampoos and what perm I had fell completely out! I believe there are shampoo straighteners you can buy. (01/03/2009)

By pjfromky

Straightening Permed Hair

I am a Cosmetology Instructor. The best thing you can do is condition. There is a product at Sally's Beauty supply, that is called bone marrow conditioner. Anyone can buy this product at Sally's. Shampoo, rinse, apply the conditioner and cover with plastic wrap, wear it around for as long as you have time. Do this three times a week. Please do not try to straighten it with a product such as a straightener. You will lose your hair. Good luck dear. (01/06/2009)

By Abby

Straightening Permed Hair

I am not a professional or anything and you have gotten some great advice. However, I do know a little about caring for hair. My mother was an obsessive permer. Her hair is thin so she liked the extra body, mine won't hold a curl so I don't even try. However, it is almost to my knees and very healthy.

If you can't find the marrow conditioner that the cosmetologist lady recommended this is what I use on my hair once a month. If I were you I would do this on my hair twice a week until it looked a little less, bushy. I had lots of friends in high school who did this just to prevent perm damage, and it worked pretty well.

Take a large avocado and throw it in the blender, with one cup of mayonnaise and blend till well mixed. Now get your hair wet with lukewarm water (hot will strip your hair of oil further). Slather the avocado mixture through your hair and work it in, all the way to the ends use all of it unless you have really short hair. Put a plastic shower cap over your head and let your hair sit like this for two hours.

Then using lukewarm water and a good shampoo like Nexus Humectent wash it out. Condition with matching conditioner and rinse in cold water to seal in the cuticle. Apply a curl enhancing product lightly, gently pick your hair and allow to air dry. Blow drying will cause it get drier and more bushy. Do this twice a week for a while, until your hair starts to feel soft and more normal and then I would cut it back to once a week. I would use a curl enhancing product every time I styled it. To prevent product buildup just rinse it in Cider vinegar. Take lots of Biotin and horsetail to help your hair grow out healthy and fast.

Also according to my grandma, who was a Sioux medicine woman, cutting your hair on the new moon makes it grow faster. I cut mine then and it seems to work, I guess its like the tides and stuff, vegetables, etc. Good luck and like everybody said it will grow out eventually. (01/07/2009)

By tigra

Permed Hair
Straightening Permed Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsFebruary 27, 2009
A woman using a flat iron on her brown hair.
Straightening Your Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Girl with permed hair.
Coloring Permed Hair