Pest ControlGardening

How Do I Get Rid of Mealy Bugs on House Plants?

How do you get rid of mealy bugs on indoor house plants? They got on one plant and now have spread to two other plants.

By Kay from Nashville, TN

Answers

My Jerry Baker book said to spray your plants with Alcohol (rubbing alcohol). I've been doing it, and it doesn't seem to hurt the plants and the bugs certainly became much less prominent. Then I kind of quit and forgot about it for a few weeks and they came back. Another tip was to spray the plants with water with a little dish soap in it. Or, spray with water and a little murphy's oil soap. I have noticed that no bugs bother my onions or garlic, or sage. I'm going to try dusting the plants with sage powder, and put some on the soil.