Cleaning Musty Smelling Dresser Drawers

I am going to a little place in the country (nothing fancy, so no point in talking to the management) for a much-needed, once-a-year holiday at the end of this week. The only bedroom furniture is a very old, wooden (maybe pine, not sure) dresser. The drawers are always terribly musty-smelling; it's suffocating!

I always end up having to leave them ajar, trying to air them out (it doesn't work!), and I hate putting my clothes in there. Please help! Does anyone know how to definitely get those drawers un-mustified so I can actually use them, this year? Thanks very much in advance.

By Anna

Why bother with the odor that you will not be able to eliminate in a short visit? Put some dryer sheets in the drawers and forget about using them, and at the very least, you won't have to smell the musty odor. Bring along some cord, rope, or even better, bungee cords and "S"-hooks to create a make-shift closet where you can hang your clothing. Not great for entertaining guests but hopefully you'll not have to do that while on retreat.

Have a nice trip!

I am with Pinksa and any clothing you don't need to hang up just keep them in your luggage. Why not just make life simple and enjoy your holiday instead of worrying about things that, in the whole scheme of things, really don't matter. Am not trying to be mean but perhaps next year you should find a different place to stay where the drawer odors will not bother you.

Charcoal helps with this but I think it takes a while to work.

Bring along some of those products used for cancer patients to remove odors and spray drawers so room smells OK, but keep your clothes in your suitcase, just ask for a suitcase stand or set up on top of dresser. If I'm on retreat the look of the room is not the most important thing on my list. just "vegging" out. Oh yes, be sure to open the windows wide to air out the room, too. Fresh air does wonders for the soul, too.

What if, weather permiting, you set the drawers outside to air out for the night when you first get there, then sprinkle them with your favorite powder, or use a dryer sheet like Pinska suggested.

Charcoal, dryer sheets, baking soda, and good old free sunlight work. But like the other poster, just don't put your clothes in there. Best of luck to you on your trip!

I like to buy decorative lavendar soap at stores like Marshalls or Ross and put these in my drawers to make them smell nice. You could also try febreeze in the drawers and let them dry for a few hours before putting your clothes in them. Febreeze in good for carpets, upholstery and bedding you could probably use it just fine in a dresser drawer too.

musty smelling wood trunk
Removing Musty Odors from Wood Furniture
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 3, 2011
Dresser Drawer
Freshening Dresser Drawers
Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Musty Smelling Carpet
Cleaning Musty Smelling Carpets