MachinesRepair

Making a Replacement Belt for an Old Humidifier

I have a very old humidifier that uses a large foam type belt that picks up the water and a fan behind it blows the moisture into the air. Does anyone know where I can purchase that type of material for a new belt? I can make one if I can find the material. It is sort of like a thin sponge. Any help will be appreciated.

Anna from Owls Head, Maine

Not sure how big you need the belt to be but...the top waistband of panty hose may do the trick...or if you need it to be smaller the top band around nylon Kneew highs may work as well...Good Luck

maggie

If you can remove the foam belt to take with you, take it to a fabric store which sells upholstery supplies, including various types of foams. In my area, western NY, the best store is JoAnn's Fabrics. Don't know if they're in ME or not.

Another possibility is to try an upholstery business which also will have various types of foams. You may find a foam you can use in either place.

Some shop vacs have tubular foam parts that might fit or have to be cut and glued to fit. Look around shop vacs.Pd

I have an old belt humidifier also (mine is Sears) and I buy a replacement belt for it once a year at Sears for about $6. And if they don't have it in stock I get it through Sears Parts and they send it to me. It's much easier and better than trying to make one. What brand do you have?