Saving Money on Celery

Tips and advice for Saving Money on Celery as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Dice and Freeze Celery

I can never use a whole stalk of celery so I dice it all when I buy it and freeze it in a gallon Zip-Loc bag. Then I can just scoop out what I need. No waste means savings.

By Glenn'sMom

Use It Up

Celery is so cheap, it is easy to let it get all "rubbery" in the fridge and want to buy a fresh package. Instead, make an effort to use it in as many meals as possible. Pretty much anything that you are cooking with onions can have diced celery thrown in too. Celery, onions and carrots are the basis of most French cooking. This is a great way to boost the nutritional content of whatever you are making: ground beef, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, soups, packaged meals of rice or pasta, etc.

When I was growing up, celery was considered to have no nutritional value at all. I was that the act of chewing a celery stick was using more calories than the celery itself, making it a perfect "diet" food. Now nutritionists know that it supplies iron, potassium, calcium and other essential vitamins.

By Stew

Use It All

Buy the whole stalk and use it all. After washing in water with a little white vinegar, I cut off the root end and very top tips and place in compost pile. The leafs and inner tender stalks are added to salad. The "knots" and lower thick part of stalk are cut for soup. Slice rest in finger size and place in cold in refrig. After about 4 days, those not eaten yet, slice and fry with diced onions to flavor cooked vegetables or meat.

By Dee Bee

Store In Foil

When I get my celery home, I cut the end of the stalk of and the leafy part then I wrap it in foil and place in the crisper. I am amazed at how long it lasts.

By Joyce's Mom

Dehydrate It

I buy a large package of celery at Costco or at a local market 5 bunches/$1. As soon as I get it home, I take at least half and cut it into bite size pieces and dehydrate it. Makes it easy to have celery on hand at all times. Some of the dried I also 'powder' in my Vitamix. Great seasoning all the time!

By Mari

You can bring limp celery back to life by cutting the stalks above the bulb and placing them in a glass of ice water for 30 minutes. If you've already cut the celery, make a new cut, then put it in the water.

Storing celery wrapped fully in aluminum foil does extend it's fridge life to twice the amount of time safely stored. If it starts to go soft I cut off the end of it and place the stalks in a tall glass of cold water and keep in the fridge. Extends it even further.

Careful! Many different types. Different soil, water. seeds.

Something else that helps saving money on celery is to grow an herb called Lovage. I love Lovage! It tolerates poor soil, wind, heat ... it comes back year after year and only gets bigger. It doesn't even seem to 'winter-kill'! A mature pant grows like a huge celery plant, only the main stalks are hollow and pithy. The tender bits at the top are edible and great to use in place of celery. Just cut it off within five inches or so in the fall and wait for it to come again in the spring. Look into it, research it on the internet - I think you'll be pleasently surprised!

In the grocery stores in my area, you can buy celery in 2 different styles. One package has the leaves & about 3 to 4 inches cut off, they call this "Celery Hearts", which costs about .90 cents higher than the regular package of celery. Buy the cheaper package & cut & trim your own celery.

Use the bigger, harder pieces of celery, lighter in color, near the base, chopped up in soups, broths, when cooking meats in the slow cooker, etc. The tops & middle of the celery stalks can be chopped & used in salads of all types, placed on veggie trays, as it's the prettiest in color & more tender parts of the celery.

All parts of celery, whether it be the top, middle or near the base, can be sliced thinly and used in stir-fry.

Saving Money on Celery
Saving Money on Celery
Consumer Advice Shopping Food & KitchenMay 30, 2008
Celery on White Background
Storing Celery
Buying Celery Tips
Celery Buying Tips
Limp Celery
Reviving Limp Celery
Celery new growth
Growing Celery