My Dog Sneaks Out The Door

I hope someone could give me advice. My little min pin sneaks out the door everytime we open it. I live a few houses down from a school so my road is very busy. I'm very worried my dog is going to get hit by a car. What could I do to keep her in the house?

Ctacy from Indianapolis, Indiana

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Is there a room without an outside door where you could close her in with a baby gate? You could keep a leash by each door and put it on her before you open the door. That is what I did after my lab, Ma Barker, got hit by a car, but recovered. Hope this helps

I have a dog that will run, too. I never open the front door unless he is in a secure place, i.e. other room or yard, or on a leash I keep attached to a piece of furniture. Better safe than sorry!

Everyone who comes to your house, or lives there, must be involved. No outside door should be opened unless the dog is under control, ever. It takes only once to be killed by a car, or get lost. She depends on you for her life. You all have to be smarter than the dog. After awhile she will be trained. You could also take her to obedience school. It sounds like she needs it.

Hi,

We have cats that try to sneak out. We keep spray bottles by the doors, and spray them with it if they get too close to the door.

I have a little dog and its fast if someone comes to the front door i have to pick her up and she sqirms in my arms to get down so what i did is i put a babies gate on the outside of the door and when i open it i can see who it is without having to run after my dog and yes i live close to the road only thing is i have to raise it up a few inches as she will jump over

Pets Dogs Training AdviceSeptember 3, 2006
A dog using a dog door.
Training a Dog to Use a Dog Door
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
dog going out dog door
Dog Is Peeing In Front of Doggie Door
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 3:47:49 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.