Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Is It Safe to Use Expired Toothpaste?

I need some advise, please. Recently, I came across a stash of toothpaste when I was cleaning out a cupboard. They are all new, all sealed, and I started to use them.

I now realise that some of them are out of date by 5 years or more. I'm wondering if they are still safe to use and if I have done any damage to my teeth or to myself internally for that matter, by using them? It's inevitable that there would be a residue in your mouth after cleaning your teeth. I'ive stopped using them now, but I don't know how safe they are or if I should just toss them out, just in case. It's a shame, since there are about 10 tubes there.

By Cettina from Malta, Europe

By cettina [74]07/03/2010

Thank you all so much. your advice is sensible. No, I wont use it for brushing my teeth. Like one person said, better safe than sorry and since they are so much out of date, yes, I agree, some of the ingredients may have turned toxic and may do harm if used over a long period of time. Something which didn't occur to me until it was pointed out, but since there are so many other things the toothpaste can be used for, I will put them in my cleaning cupboard and they can be used for cleaning round the house. Least ways, I wont have to buy copper or brass cleaner for a long time!

By Anonymous [848]07/02/2010

Hi Cett, just to be safe I wouldn't use the toothpaste to brush anymore but, if it's the paste and not gel type, it works wonders cleaning silver, copper and brass. :-)
Also, you mentioned that after brushing teeth there's always residue. It's suggested to always rinse and spit with water after gargling and/or brushing so that none of the residue is swallowed.

By Teresa Tart [1]07/02/2010

As I learned on a TV program Expiration dates are put on items for a reason. Do not use the product pass the expiration date! You can find many uses for the toothpaste. One way is to use some to clean your headlights on your car. Put some on a rag and rub the whole headlight, this is to help the lights shine better!

By Lilac [18]07/02/2010

Do not use it.

By elva [1]07/02/2010

No, I would not use it if it's over 5 years old.

By Casey Eckert [28]07/02/2010

Why not call or e-mail the manufacturer of the product to find out! They should be able to tell you how long after the expiration date the product is still usable and effective - or if it should be discarded. If you don't trust their advice, ask a pharmacist or dentist. Good luck!

By Loretta [18]07/01/2010

Most things have an expiration date for a reason. Sometimes it can be because the taste changes, but sometimes ingredients break down and can even become toxic. A few months is one thing, and probably not a problem at all, but a year or more would be ill advised. As others have already suggested, there are many good uses, other than in the mouth, because of the very fine abrasives. Even for using an old toothbrush and shining up jewelry. I just would not put it in my mouth.

By Louise B. [4]07/01/2010

I don't think there is anything in toothpaste that would be harmful. How could there be? I agree that if it separated, you might want to keep it for for stain removal, but if it looks fine, I would use it.

By pam munro [447]07/01/2010

If the toothpaste is in good shape (it has been sealed) I don't think it would do your teeth any harm. Things last a good deal longer than the stated shelf life, which is to rotate new merchandise.

By OliveOyl07/01/2010

The old toothpaste will not do you any harm but the product may degrade over time. It may separate and become watery.

By Robyn Fed [388]07/01/2010

I would use them to clean stains with, and to wash fingernails and toenails with, toothpaste is a great cleaner, I have even used it in the toilet bowl and swished it around. As far as using it on your teeth, I wouldn't do it. I would use it for other purposes.
Better safe than sorry!

Robyn