Organizing Phone Numbers

Category Miscellaneous
Rolodex
Whether you still use a traditional approach to recording important phone numbers or store them in you cell, keeping them organized makes accessing them much easier. This is a guide about organizing phone numbers.

I use a 3x5 inch recipe/file box to alphabetically organize personal names, addresses, phone numbers and any other information. I use the tabbed dividers for keeping this in alphabetical order.

Each index card has all the information about that particular person; name, address, phone numbers (home, cell, office, emergency), birthday with the year, anniversary with the year, e-mail address, any favorites for gift ideas, favorite songs/movies, colors, etc. I also pencil the date next to the current phone numbers since at times some numbers may change.

The index card provides a lot of space to use for notes since both sides can be used. When there is any major changes, a new card can be rewritten. Or just add an update when needed.

You can also use a separate box for business phone numbers and information. We have several different local pizzerias that we like. Instead of listing by the business name, I write all the names of the pizzerias on one card and file it under "Pizza". You can make any special notes about their daily sales or specials that they may have.

I still keep a small separate personal directory for phone numbers for daily use. I realize this information can be stored on a computer, cell phone etc. but I still believe in using the old-fashioned way while organizing my life.

By mkymlp from NE PA / USA

If you are ever in an accident and/or unconscious, be sure to have your contacts in your cell phone listed as husband, wife, son, daughter, mom, etc. instead of John, Mary, etc. The medical staff will be able to contact someone in your immediate family a lot easier and faster.

By GinaMc from Judsonia, AR

In my cell phone's address book, along with my other numbers of my family, friends and other contacts, I also have the phone number of the electric company. In case of a power outage, I'm not running in the dark trying to find the phone book to look up the power company's number to report the outage. I keep my cell phone close by at all times. By having their phone number in my cell phone, it's come in handy twice just this summer!

By Terri H. from NV

I was getting vexed at the number of times my adult children, now living in their own homes, would call me for family information such as telephone numbers, cell numbers, work numbers, fax numbers, birthdates, wedding anniversaries and even correct spellings of our grandchildren's names.

I put together all this vital information by family unit for each family unit (3 grown children, all married, all with children) via the computer, saved the information, and then ran off copies on the front and back of one page for each of them.

I then inserted this page inside a plastic sleeve, and gave it to them. One family now never calls me for the information, one calls only for updated information, and the other one always calls me for any of the information because they have lost/misplaced/can't find/ "the-dog-chewed-it-up" excuse du jour. At least I now know where to find all the information when this one calls! LOL

By Sandie

Our phone company delivers both large and small phone books when new ones are published. I put the smaller one under my car seat and use it to look up phone numbers when I'm out. I rarely use my cell phone provider's directory assistance service and save over $1.00 per call in charges this way.

By Denise from FL

Keep the phone numbers and hours of stores, doctors, the library, etc. posted on the inside of one of your kitchen cabinet doors. This will save you a lot of time when you need to make a call or find out when a place of business opens or closes.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I need a list of important names and numbers to pass on to family members (insurance, accounts, socials, etc.)

John

Go to this website www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/fammgmt/he445w.htm

It lists everything you should need.

Good luck.

I found it by googling important records to keep

Your family should know, in case (God forbid) you're in an accident or otherwise incapacitated:

1. Your family (or primary care) physician's name and phone number

2. The name and phone number of your preferred hospital, or the most likely place you'd be taken

3. Your basic banking information, like the bank's phone number and your account number(s.)

4. The location of important papers, like your life insurance policy, the policy number, and the name and phone number of your insurance carrier.

Knowing the names and phone numbers of at least some of your friends would also help. Also, if you have a church, synagog or mosque, the contact number there would also come in handy. I'm presuming your family keep in better touch than mine, so I didn't mention that.

Hope I've been of some help...