Decorate Cake with Thrift Store Toys

You can customize a cake and make it special for the recipient by spending more ingenuity than money. When my grandson was 4, he was so-o-o into the movie "Cars". So for his birthday, I made him this cake. Many thrift stores sell bagged little toys for 50 cents. I found all the ones I needed for $1.00, including the trading cards. I put all the toys in the dishwasher to sanitize, then I started the fun!

I made two chocolate cakes (his favorite), one in a 13 x 9 inch pan and the other in a round cake pan. I placed the small round one on top and frosted. I glued the cards on popsicle sticks and placed them on each side of the race track. I added some little picket fencing, wood trees, and plastic hay stacks, all found at thrift stores. The entire cake, including the numeral candle, cost me $6.00. It was a hit at the party and my grandson was thrilled!

By maryeruth from Palm Coast, FL

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CakesFebruary 2, 2011
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Toddler with ball.
Inexpensive Toddler Toys
A photo of all the different actor's who played Doctor Who.
Making a Doctor Who Costume
Thrift Store Clothes
Thrift Store Shopping Tips