Research Online for Best Car Part Prices

Save money on your car repairs by researching the price of the parts, and perhaps buying the part on your own. Many automotive shops charge up the price of the part and pass it on to the consumer. As one of the mechanics told me today (as my car is in the shop), this is one of the ways they made money. Well, I can appreciate their need to make money, while I have a need to SAVE it!

This became clear as I was quoted around $600.00 to replace my distributor. The part was supposedly going to cost $450.00. I panicked a little. After doing research online, I found the correct new OEM part for $154.00! A savings of $300.00.

Good repair shops will agree to install a part that you provide to them, although they will not likely warranty the part. But, the manufacturer or retailer selling the part typically does provide such a warranty for the part, so who cares?

Find out what part your car may need, then do a google search, check E-Bay, etc. I've done this several times on cars I have owned and saved hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. Even if you have to pay to have a professional install it, so what? You can at least save money on the part itself!

By go2jared from Blacklick, OH

I need parts for 1999 torus. Thanks for the tip!

I need to warn you that OEM parts are after market, usually made by a different company and have problems like holes for screws that don't fit into the place you are replacing the part. They are, unfortunately, a gamble. If you do use OEM, find out what happens $$ if it doesn't fit properly. Sometimes they can be made to fit, and occasionally the alterations will break the replacement part.