Dangers of Using Bio Spot Flea Treatment

Please let your members know of all the dangers in using flea products, especially the on the spot treatment, "Bio Spot". This product almost killed my cat and dog, causing tremors, nervousness, vomiting, and hair loss. It can also cause kidney failure among other vital organ damage in your pet's body. There are cancer causing chemicals in this product, as well as other ingredients too, that can do damage instantly, or work slowly as time goes by ending in death or serious illness.

Thank you for your time.

By Trina'z from Castro Valley, CA

Top Comment

My vet told me that the Biospot treatments have the same flea and tick preventative medicine as Frontline, BUT they contain no chemical to carry the medicine from the dog's skin into his bloodstream. Thus, a huge dose of medicine sits on top of the dog's skin, providing flea protection for maybe a day or so, until it wears off. In the meantime, if your pet licks the spot, he can be seriously poisoned by the massive amount of medication not being absorbed into his system. There may also be other chemicals in the Biospot that made your dog sick. In short, those Biospots are at best worthless, and at worst, poison.

Top Comment

I tried Biospot shampoo on a cat we rescued. Washed the cat as directed (you have to leave it on a few minutes) then rinse thoroughly. It didn't kill all the fleas and she threw up for two days. We now use Advantage from our Vet and all the cats and dogs are healthy and happy.

Link to an EPA study on topical flea and tick preventative--it's on the technical side, but still worth a look:

http://www.regulations.gov/search/R ... ml#documentDetail?R=0900006480abc643

This says that the incidence of these products causing negative effects in dogs have been reported mainly in small breed dogs weighing 5-20 pounds; also from improper use of them and a large portion of the affected animals presented as underweight before using the treatment.

Our vet still recommends using them--ticks and fleas are abundant in our geographical area and the chances of disease from these critters is high; you have to weigh the possible effects both with and without treatment and discuss it with your own vet to really come to an informed decision on this.

I switched to Advantage because Frontline has stopped working on my dogs. I have been putting it on them the right way and someone on here mentioned it had changed hands and that Frontline no longer has the same ingredients. Dont want to use Frontline anymore. I had been buying the big bottle online.

I almost lost my dog many years ago to a product put out by Seargeant's. Same symptoms. The company denied it could be their product but shortly after I registered my complaint the product was exposed on the national news and the product was taken off the market. It took many months of expensive treatment for my dog to return to normal. Now I no longer trust ANY product not recommended by my Vet. Regarding Frontline, I now have switched to Comfortis and find it to be very effective with no messy application to the skin or exposure to possible ingestion via licking by the other dogs (I have four of them)

You must follow the directions exactly just like you would for a child. If you follow the directions, your animal should not be able to reach it and lick it. I have a 2lb. Yorkie and have to be very careful and exact. I have rescued animals for 30 years and have used the product that long. All meds have some side effects so be careful and always put a little less meds just in case on smaller animals. Jeannie

dog with fleas
Bio Spot Flea and Tick Reviews
Consumer Advice Product Reviews PetsApril 6, 2010
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Cats
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
Baked good for sale at a flea market.
Selling Food at a Flea Market