My new Rottie puppy is almost 12 weeks old. She was sick at 8 weeks and the vet said she had a bacterial infection. She had a bladder infection last week as well as another bacterial infection. They tested a fecal sample. I just took her for her booster shot yesterday and she threw up last night , and again this morning. She has no appetite and is lethargic. I took her to the vet this morning and they wanted me to give her Benadryl. It didn't work so I took her back this afternoon and now they say she has Parvo. She is on IVs again. Do you think this is a reaction to the shot she just got?
By Jayce from Lakewood, CO
Here are the recent answer to this question.
By Virginia 08/26/2009
I think the best advice of all is to try and find a vet clinic that has a seperate entrance and exam room for any pets that might have a contageous disease.
You have to call around a lot but eventually you should be able to find one.
No matter how much cleaning goes on at a vets clinic or a Dr's office/ER there are tons of lingering bacteria and virus germs constantly coming and going thru the doors and remember that many pets/people may not know they are sick yet while spreading the germs.
By Judy Meadows 04/25/2009
Thank you all for your support ans opinions and answers. My puppy has come home. She made it through the bout with parvo thank God! I bought some Shacklee Basic G and was told that is kills the parvo on cloth where you cant use bleach. Some vet offices use it so I have been spraying that as well as bleaching. My puppy , Haley, has an appetite now but still looks like she has been in a concentration camp, her bones are still showing. She has been on a bland food diet most of her young life. The vet said she is immune to parvo right now but will still need to get her shots to keep her immunity going.
By Patty Hunt 04/25/2009
Mu daughters white german shepard came down with parvo as a puppy. Just little, before he had any of his shots. When the vet treated him (that was the first thing he checked for) he gave me a paper on how to clean your house and yard to kill the bacteria. Use bleach water I believe 1/4 c to 1 gallon hot water. Spray your yard whever your dog has been. In the house wash anything the dog has come in contact with also with bleach water. (floors) what can't be washed with bleach water use lysol and spray good. Her dog came through like a charm. Very expensive though.
By susan 04/25/2009
I had a very similar situation with my dog in the past. My Rottie was about 6 months old and up to date on all his shots when he came down with parvo. My regular vet was out of town, so I called the emergency number of another vet clinic. It was a holiday weekend and he did not want to come out, stating that he thought (over the phone) that it was just a bug and to come into the office after the holiday (3 days later). I insisted, so he reluctantly met us at the office. It was parvo. Rottie's rarely survive parvo, and he suggested that we just have him put down. I refused, thinking that I caught is quickly, and hoping that he could be saved. I was right and he pulled through.
Please do not take any chances with your pet--time is not on his side. Parvo is deadly, especially with Rotties, who have an extremely low survival rate. There is no way of knowing or proving how your dog caught it, and the symptoms can mimic other things initially. I believe the best medicine, other than IVs and meds, is to visit and sit with your dog and keep it's spirits up, so it can fight with everything its got. Praying helps too. Hope the outcome is good.
Yes I had a pup at the vets for a shot she had 1 her second was due she contracted parvo at the vets office from a person from the local animal shelter. My pup died, she didn't have enough shots in her. If the vet tech doesn't clean the room either with bleach and an infected pup was there before you you pup can catch the deadly virus, and you'll never know cause these people will never admit because of there lack of heart that they caused your babies death or illness.
By Grandma J 04/24/2009
The parvo means walking on soil, flooring, etc where a dog which was infected it, peed, etc. It is simple to get and easy to contaminate. My vet wipes up floor puddles with bleach in the bottle. PUPS in particular can get this and it can be deadly.
By Cosy 04/24/2009
Your Vet should have picked up on the parvo right away. You are so fortunate that they finally discovered that and I hope it will be ok. Pls. keep us posted.
By Krysti 04/20/2009
No - but one or two vaccines doesn't mean your dog is 100% protected. It cant be treated on your own - as per the previous feedback. Parvo virus is very contagious to other dogs and can kill the dog is not treated by a vet. It takes so much more the an antibiotic to cure parvo. I am an ICU vet nurse - I see parvo frequently! You need to find a new vet if you are unhappy with your treatment. Good luck!
By Jamie S. Nimmo 04/20/2009
No not from a shot but by it being in your yard or in your house from previous owners , and not knowing it and the easy way yo cure it on your own without using a vet use the moxcellian the pink medicine that you give your kids when they get sick and give them pedilite it works . Iused it on my rattterrior. He was about to die and I saved him.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.