Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting All the Spaghetti Sauce

When using store bought jar spaghetti sauce, after pouring all the sauce into the pan, put about a tablespoon of water in the jar, screw the lid back on and shake. Then pour the rest of the sauce out. This way you use all the sauce and none is wasted by sticking to the sides of the jar.

By M. Day

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Bev (Guest Post)08/12/2004

Hi

This is a great tip and it's one that I've been doing for many years.
In fact, it makes the sauce go further, plus you don't have a heap of sauce to wash out of the jars afterwards. Ground beef, depending on the quality you buy, can get quite lumpy after cooking. I found that when I swished out the jars with the water and added it to the "sauce" it made the sauce less lumpy.
Another tip I can suggest to make the sauce go even further is to add frozen mixed veggies. It's one way to get picky children to eat their veggies without them even realising vegetables have been consumed.
I have children who eat most everything, including their veggies, so that isn't why I add them to the sauce, but with a budget in mind, I started doing it years ago when I needed the sauce to go a bit further.

Cheers

Bev in Oz

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.