Saving Money On Winter Clothing

Christmas is over and we have several weeks more of cold wintry weather. Here are ideas for saving money on warm winter clothes as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Check Sale Racks For Next Year's Sizes

If you have kids, watch the sales racks for sweaters, snow pants and other cold weather clothing. Stores want to clear out the winter stuff after Christmas to make way for the spring fashions. Buy a size too big, even two if it is a good deal. Just be sure to pick neutral colors and styles. Then pack them away until next fall, when you can take stock of what you might still need.

By Jess_admin

Buy Thrift Clothes Off Season Or Make Your Own

The best tip I have is to buy warm clothes off season. I got a deal on a ski sweater at a thrift clothing store because I bought it when it was much too warm to wear it! My nicest sweaters these days have come from thrift shops, too! You should also try to buy classic pieces that can be worn for years. Also, knit/make your own scarves and hats. It is really quite easy and they make nice gifts.

By Pamphyila

Sweat Suits at the Dollar Store

I buy sweats suits (jogging suits) at Dollar store, they are very warm and last a long time.

By Kathleen

Layering Is Warm, Thrifty and Fashionable

Also take advantage of layering. Fashion magazines and catalogs often show women wearing a shirt, covered by v-neck sweater, with a blazer on top. Other times of the year that's too warm, but I worked with my wardrobe and found some great combos for this time of year!

For outerwear, a medium weight coat is often warm enough when I'm wearing a top covered with a hooded sweatshirt underneath. In summary, you may be able to get by without purchasing too many new items for your family if they wear multiple layers.

Stay warm!

By Straightace

Swap With Other Moms

I swap clothes that have become to small since the first of school with other moms. I get lots of hand me downs and some brand new that another person didn't want from Christmas. We pick up the cute Christmas tees in a size for next year for $1-2 and save them back.

Remember when your little girl is going to teen sizes, little boys still have bigger t-shirt options available. Instead of a size medium Junior girls shirt, we buy boys XL 18-20 t-shirts. Lots of long sleeve shirts in the almost current size, if they can have sleeves shortened, we buy them for spring.

We share the dress shoes that are only worn to church and concerts. They are not worn out and additional $10-15 for spring concert outfit isn't always accessible. I also hunt down and donate snow boots. We live in a cold climate, but snow is very few days out of the year, so the boots are like brand new with a wet rag cleaning.

We buy thrift store shirts and craft new clothes from them. I search REI-Oulet.com for sportswear and shoes in their markdowns. Quality clothes and shoes she has been able to wear and wear out.

I'm always looking for black wool type coats in the next size for dress and church needs. The sizes in misses and girls clothing overlap quite a bit and I got a size 6 women's coat for my size 16 girls clothes girl and it fits great. Covers the pretty dresses to the hem and looks fabulous.

By Mama2one

Always Buy Off Season

Always buy at the end of season for the next year. I have purchased $70 sweaters for $5 after Christmas when retailers are desperate to clean out their supply before their inventory.

By Monnat96

Do you have any more tips to share? Post your own tips below.

This is definitely time to buy marked down Winter clothing and outerwear to put away for next year. My kids seem to always lose hats and gloves so I look at Wal-Mart and find hats and gloves marked down considerably, especially the little knit ski caps my little boy wears. Those will be marked down to .50 a piece and I get several to put aside so if his hat doesn't come home from school with him, atleast he has another one in reserve!

Last year, around March, the Dollar General stores were ditching their winter knit hats - they weren't expensive to begin with, but at 25c each, instead of $1., I stocked up. They've really come in handy this year, and I was planning on doing the same this year, since Hubby and Son have lost more than half of 'em.

But, as part of a craft project, I made a simple fleece hat. It took maybe 20 minutes, tops, and even the cheeeep fleece I used ($2.84/yd, not on sale) was warm and snuggly. Thanks to the stretch of the fleece, it fit better, and seemed warmer. I can make maybe five or six hats from a yard of the cheap stuff, which isn't much more than the sale knit hats - and I don't have to wait for markdown sales and take bizarre colors. I can choose our very own bizarre colors - or reuse fleece blankets that we rarely use anymore.

A quick search of 'free fleece hat pattern' should net you dozens on line. Each one just a bit different, from dirt simple to arty ornate. I know I get a kick when we go out in matching hats I made !

I only buy off-season, so I buy my winter clothes in the summer. But, I don't buy more than I need. Instead, I focus on layering sweaters with long-sleeve t-shirts for a variety of looks.

Winter Hat and Gloves
Saving Money on Winter Clothing
Consumer Advice Clothing TipsJanuary 23, 2009
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Winter Boots
Saving Money on Winter Boots
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations
🎉
🎄