Label Tops of Electric Plugs

This isn't exactly a money-saving tip - it's more of an "annoyance minimizing" tip. It seems like every time I grab a plug to plug something in, I am holding the plug upside down. To make it quicker, I put a dot of red nail polish on the top of every plug so I can tell instantly if I have it the right way up.

By lindal from Vista, CA

Great idea. Wonder why I hadn't thought of that myself.

Now this is a tip I can use!

I'm stealing your idea, but changing it a bit. I'm planning to put the spot on the bottom of the plug! I don't have any nail polish, so I will probably use correction fluid. Thank you for thinking of it.

Lindal, have you experienced a situation where the electricians have installed a receptacle upside-down? I have. No biggie, eh?

And it's not a safety problem either.

Love the idea. I need to do this with glow in the dark nail polish since it seems I am always fumbling in the dark to plug in something. Great idea! Thanks!

I'm wondering why I hadn't thought of this, too. Now I'll add my own little twist: for me, a tactile bump would work better even than glow-in-the-dark paint or nail polish. (I don't own any nail polish anyway.) And, how about marking the top side of the outlet the same way? Then you'd just need to match up the marks. No more guesswork!

Great tip! Thanks for sharing.

This is ironic because I was just thinking today when I was vacuuming that I need to mentally add this to my "Murphy's Law" list. It seems it is always the wrong way so I can use your tip.

All electrical receptacles are installed with the larger slot on the left. So, simply look at the plug and plug it in with the larger prong on the left. If you have a plug receptacle that is opposite it is incorrect and should not have passed inspection.

I don't think you "get it", Syntoniser. A spot of bright nail polish or white-out is easier to see than looking at the prong.... especially in the semi-dark. A quick glance, even without my glasses, is all I'd need. Some of the alternative ideas are great too. I think I'll use a dab of craft paint, maybe the scribbler fabric writer or puff paint so I can 'feel' the right way to put the plug in.

Organizing MiscellaneousMarch 21, 2011
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Recycled Summer Top
Recycled Summer Tops
fresh carrots with tops
Crispy Carrot Tops
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
🎄