Making an Adult Bib

If an adult needs a bib, here is the easy way to handle the problem. Get a chain with alligator clips on both ends, like the ones a dentist uses. Use this chain to fasten the dinner napkin around the person's neck. You could use cloth dinner napkins or paper. Works great.

Another alternate for a woman is to fold a pretty scarf into a triangle and tie it loosely around her neck with the pointed side over her chest.

Source: Did this for a friend.

By soochatty from Wilmington, DE

I have three messy boys who somehow manage to get stains and splashes from sauce, ketchup, etc. on their shirts. Several years ago my husband suggested that we have the boys wear a large paper napkin attached with a dental bib chain during meal times. This has been the best solution ever for keeping the boys shirts food stain free.

After being seated in a dental chair with a large paper bib around his neck, my husband came home from his teeth cleaning

appointment with 3 sets of bib holders and a stack of paper dental bibs. Our dentist gave him the clips and paper bibs after hearing my husband complain about our 3 messy boys getting food stains on their shirts during meals. We decided right then to require the boys to wear the bib clips to secure paper napkins around their necks during meal times. The results have been no more stained shirts!At first there was a great deal of resisitence from the boys, but we insisted and stood firmly on the decision.

December 3, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a simple adult bib/protector pattern. Do you have one to share?

By Patricia from NJ

Making an Adult Bib

If you google it, you can find patterns online. I recently saw, however, something I like even better. You get one of the clothing adjuster clips from the fabric store (it looks like a short piece of elastic with a suspender clip at each end). Remove the elastic and replace it with fabric or ribbons to which you've added a D-ring for adjustablility. You can use this to turn any hand (or small bath) towel into a bib. I intend to make myself one to keep in the car for those times I have to eat my lunch in the car. (That way, I won't spill my soup on my clothes or car seat!) (11/14/2010)

By Jilson

Making an Adult Bib (11/14/2010)

November 13, 2010 Flag

How do I make an adult bib?

By Lynda (crabby)

Making an Adult Bib

My mother used those little clip things that they sell for babies (it has a clip on each end connected by a something like a shoestring) and used hand towels when my stepdad was really having trouble with his Parkinson's. I think it made him feel less like a baby to be using a towel rather than having an regular "bib". They were easily washed. (07/10/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Making an Adult Bib

I once worked in a nursing home and used white hand towels with bias tape around the towel after it was curved at corners and a cut out for the neck. Tie strings were a part of the bias tape sewn down. You can add Velcro to the neck to hold in place instead of tying and would not become tangled in washing machine. (07/10/2009)

By Lorelei

Making an Adult Bib

I use to work in a rehab center and have worked in adult care centers. They would take a blue pad the kind you keep on the bed or in a chair for the person and just tuck part of it around the top part of the shirt or blouse keeping the white side outside. As the blue part protects their clothes and if it does not get to messy you can use it all day then throw it away. Wal-mart brand does not cost much and is good. Beats washing a towel or cloth all the time. (07/12/2009)

By jlfarrell

Making an Adult Bib

I make "bibs" for our Eastern Star ladies (and gentlemen) out of fun fabrics. When "everybody else" is wearing one, none of us feel self conscious. They are just rectangles with a circle out of one of the narrow ends for the neck, and a Velcro or button closure. I've always toyed with the idea of making some appliqued to look like a lady's neck and dress, even with a fake necklace, or a man's tux with shirt, collar, and bow tie. Or how about farmer bib-overalls, or a Hawaiian shirt? Just make them fun.
Good luck. (07/19/2009)

By OrahLee

Elderly man wearing a bib while eating.
Making an Adult Bib
Crafts SewingDecember 3, 2010
Woman and Her Adult Daughter
Being a Parent to Adult Children
Adults at Birthday Party
Adult Birthday Party Ideas
House Training an Adult Dog
House Training an Adult Dog
Adult Diapers
Buying Adult Diapers in Bulk