Hibiscus Dropping Buds Early

I have a hibiscus which gets full sun daily. It develops a bunch of bloom pods, but just before they bloom they fall off. Only a few make it to full bloom. I water it daily in the hot summer, two times per day. Also, I fertilize weekly with Miracle Grow granular 10-52-10, 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. What can I do to get the blooms to come to full maturation? Thanks.

By John from Gold Canyon, AZ

Best Answer

I have read that hibiscus don't like lots of phosphorus so 52 is too high. Something like 6-2-8 should work better for you.

October 23, 2010 Flag

Why is my hibiscus dropping flower buds?

Marilyn from Winter Garden, FL

April 23, 2008 Flag

Hi frugal family!

I have a small problem in the garden. I have a Hibiscus plant in the front yard. We have lived in our new home abt 18 months. Last year the Hibiscus bloomed tons but this year it's droppping its buds before they can open up. I saw that you can buy something in the store to discourage the bud drop but I would rather do it a cheaper way. Got any suggestions?

Jim in FL

Hibiscus Dropping Buds Early

It may be to much or not enough water. Watch out for catapillers on those bushes. They have a nasty bite. (06/14/2005)

Hibiscus Dropping Buds Early

You should probably check the plant closely you may have spider mites or other bugs that are killing the bud. You may need to fertilize or water more often too. (06/14/2005)

By Donna J.

Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersOctober 23, 2010
Growing Hibiscus
Growing Hibiscus Plants
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Camellia Bush
Camellia Bush Losing Buds
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting