Can I Remove the Tint from Prescription Sunglasses?

How do I untint a pair of eyeglasses? I broke my regular glasses and need to untint my prescription sunglasses.

By Steve from Newburgh, IN

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Don't know if this is possible, but ask where your purchased your glasses.

Tint is applied to plastic spectacle lenses through a dyeing process, similar to coloring Easter eggs. The color is designed to be permanent and remains constant, whether it is made to be just slightly tinted for cosmetic purposes or to cut down glare, or made dark for sunglasses. Removing the tint is possible, in most cases, if the lenses are made from plastic.

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging

Instructions:

Things You'll Need:

Lens-dyeing unit

Lens bleach or neutralizer

Step 1: Turn on the dye unit and allow the unit to heat up. Depending on the machine, this can take 15 minutes to half an hour.

Step 2: Remove the lenses from your frame. Plastic lenses pop out when the frame is gently warmed, metal frames have screws in the eyewire that are loosened to remove the lenses.

Step 3: Wash and dry the lenses thoroughly. Make sure the lenses are completely dry.

Step 4: Place the lenses in the lens holder that is used to immerse lenses in the dye tank. Place one lens on each side, and slide the top of the holder down, so the lenses are held snugly in place.

Step 5: Lower the lenses into the bleach (also called neutralizer) tank of the unit. Allow the lenses to sit in the bleaching solution for at least 10 minutes. Lighter lenses will begin to lighten and can clear in 10 minutes. Darker lenses can take much longer, up to an hour or more.

Step 6: Remove the lenses and check after 10 minutes to see if they have lightened to the desired amount. If the tint is not light enough, soak them again. Repeat the process until you have achieved the lightness you desire.

good luck.

I worked for an optometrist and we dyed some of our own lenses. Please beware that some tint will probably remain. I agree with OliveOyl, contact whoever made your glasses. Or SOME optical shop. I suspect you'll have better luck with a local-type shop, rather than a national chain.

My lenses are polycarbonite. The opticians put a tint on that was too dark. I soaked my glasses (lenses down) in a shallow container containing a 50/50 ratio of household bleach and hot water. I continued to check them approximately every 15 - 20 minutes. The diluted bleach solution removed all of the tint from my lenses with absolutely no apparent harm to the glasses or lenses at all. To completely remove the tint took approximately 1 hour.

Sure you can. Optical labs do it all the time when a job comes out too dark. A mixture of hot water and bleach (about 4 parts water to 1 part bleach) is about right, use a glass casserole dish to hold the liquid and just plonk the glasses down into the juice, there is no need to remove the lenses, bleach is not harmful to any normal kind of frame material (none that I have ever seen, at least). Check them every 10 minutes or so and when they look the way you want rinse them thoroughly and dry with a soft cotton cloth before wearing.

Answer

Prescription Sunglasses
Removing the Tint from Prescription Sunglasses
Home and Garden Repair Other Eye GlassesMay 3, 2010
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
Old woman holding prescription drug bottles.
Prescription Drugs Tips for Seniors
Sunglasses
Organizing Sunglasses
Prescription Bottle and Pills
Prescription Drug Safety
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 15, 2016 at 7:06:43 AM on 10.0.0.176 in 431 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.