Chalk Line for Ants

Ants in your pet's food? Use chalkboard chalk to draw a circle around the dish. The ants won't cross the chalk. This actually works, I have tried it!

By Sandy from Crystal Lake, IL

I once got chalk from Chinatown and it had pictures of ants on the box. It works, but I don't know if it is a special chalk or just plain chalk.

I had used this method to keep ants from the cat bowls for a couple years... and it worked great. Notice the tense in my grammar? Past tense! I don't know what happened but all of a sudden after relying on the chalk method for a long time I started to see ants in the bowls. I now have to keep the bowls on a tray that has water in it, and it has to be enough that the ants would have to 'swim' to get to it (which they won't of course). The whole thing is messy and yucky (especially in the warm weather). So, I wonder what happened? We were doing so well with the chalk line for so long.

I tried this yesterday, and as I was putting the chalk line down the ants were crossing it, going through it, and in no way stopped them.

July 14, 2010 Flag

If you have ants coming into your house, make a chalk line. They won't cross it, it sticks to their feet.

By Tonya Vest

Chalk Line for Ants

I don't know what kind of ants you are talking about, but I tried it here and they all crossed the lines, no matter where they were. Good luck with it if you use it, I wish you better success than I had! LOL.

Use chalk to outline the doorway and entry areas around your house where ants can get in and they won't go near it they don't like the feel of it on their feet!

By Julie

Chalk Line for Ants

I've tried all kinds of white chalks, from the cheapest brand to the expensive school grade stuff. It doesn't work completely. If you leave a pile of chalk dust it'll work for a while but eventually they'll get through.

I know it's not just the ants in Texas (stubborn things) the ants in California do the same thing. (07/11/2007)

By Remm

Chalk Line for Ants

I've heard this before and seen it in action, but why does it work? (10/15/2008)

By Megan

Chalk Line for Ants

The reason it repels ants is because the chalk contains calcium carbonate and ants do not like it. (10/24/2008)

Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJuly 14, 2010
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Black Ant
Natural Ant Deterrents
Several small ants inside a sugar bowl
Getting Rid of Small Black Ants
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants