Good Quality Fabric Scissors

Good scissors for cutting through multiple layers of thick fabric. Any suggestions?
I just dulled out two pairs and they cost between $20 and $30 each.

The more expensive one was re-sharpened and I am not impressed. A friend told me that the quality of the re-sharpening has more to do with the steel content than the skill of the operator.

Holly from Richardson, TX

I don't know what brand you are using but I am a Fiskars person. I won't have any other in my house. I still have some from several years ago which I used to trim my dogs haunches . They are now in DH's tool shed and still cutting everything but fabric. I have never had a pair of Fiskars sharpened and I cut thick fabric and several layers of denim.. the usual sewing gramma stuff. I'm completely sold. I even bought school kid fiskars for my granddaughter. I was subbing in a pre k class where all the scissors in the art center were in a basket. I taught one little girl to look for Fiskars. a few minutes later I saw her over there looking in the basket and muttering "Where are those whiskers?"

I make double layered "tie blankets" and I bought a 'cutting wheel" and "cutting Mat" I wouldn't go back to just scissors at all. Only use them when I have to, :-). However I did find cheap but good scissors at Big Lots that would cut through two layers and was just as happy with them as the $14.00 stainless steel that I bought.

I swear by my Ginghers. I've had them for about twenty years now, and they're still going strong. They cost a bit more, but they truly will last a lifetime.

1. Are other people using your scissors? You must hide them from children and husbands. I'm a lefty, my scissors are expensive, and at one time I was stashing them in my jewelry box to keep them safe.

2. Buy the best scissors you can. Gingher and

Fiskars are best. My Fiskars shears have never been sharpened, and they are old enough to vote.

3. Hold the scissors exactly perpendicular to the fabric and cut smoothly. Holding scissors at an angle, or going whack, whack, whack, will give you raggedy edges, and you will blame the scissors for being dull.

Have you tried electric scissors? There are some new ones out that shine a laser dot ahead of them so you can cut really straight.

Here is a tip for helping out your old not so sharp scissors...I was told in my college clothing construction courses to cut through aluminum foil to sharpen the scissors. It has worked for me in the past, but the edge dulls kind of quickly. I bought a scissors sharpener (manufactured by Fiskars and made of plastic and ceramic--about an inch or two long) for less than $2 at Walmart, and it works pretty well for just normal sharpening. For chips and nicks, it is not so good. These might be worth a try for you. And yes, Gingher is about the best brand that you can buy...

For thick fabric or lots of layers, nothing beats a rotary blade. You can buy several different types and sizes of wheels. You can buy replacement blades or a sharpener (I like that latter better) much easier than scissors and much less painful on the hands!

I bought my Fiskars @ Wal*Mart years ago and have never had a problem with them. I can't remember what they cost but it was back in 'leaner years' so they couldn't have been too much.

For my other household scissors, I cut through a piece of sandpaper when they start to get dull. Haven't had to buy new scissors in years!

Just remember to use your fabric scissors for fabric ONLY!

PS: I agree with the other posters here about using a rotary cutter for cutting several layers of fabric.

It is sooo much faster & more accurate than using scissors.

I agree with everyone else. I have several pairs of Fiskar and Gingher scissors in several styles/sizes that have lasted for years. Weiss also makes (of at least used to) a good pair of scissors that will last if taken care of properly.

How did you dull yours? Any tailor will NEVER cut paper with her good scissors. Paper products will dull scissors in record time. Keep an old or cheap pair for paper products or craft projects.

When cutting several layers, use a rotary wheel & mat. When the wheel dulls out, just change it. It beats replacing expensive scissors! There are templates for quilting of varying sizes for purchase, but save yourself some money. Go to a glass shop & have them cut you some plexiglass templates for your blocks. Sure, there are no marks for measuring printed on them, but I have one long plexiglass ruler from the fabric shop for measuring. I like to rag quilt, so I got a 5 inch, a 7 inch, & a 9 inch square for $5.98 at the glass shop!

For scissors, I am a Ginger girl. They last for years & they are not hard to have sharpened. I returned to college after an 18-year break & took a sewing class as an elective. I got my Gingers 1/2 price through the school's Home Ec dept.

Also, Hancock Fabrics has a notions sale 2 - 3 times a year - all notions are 50% off! It's a great time to buy cutting implements & stock up on rotary cutter wheels, sewing machine needles, thread, etc.

To answer your query: I dulled my good sewing scissors by cutting thick layers of batting and cloth for a project. These scissors are not used for paper. The entire family would not dare use them.

I have several nice pairs of scissors in the kitchen for paper and everyone always goes for those.

The sewing scissors are kept hidden in the sewing basket.

For Fiskars and other industrial grade fabric shears, I recommend John A. Eberly Inc. http://www.jaeberly.com/ This store has a large inventory of scissors and shears at attractive prices with many on sale as well.

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 19, 2007
Clean Scissors
Cleaning Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Scissor Holder
Making a Holder for Scissors
🎄