Obedience Training for Puppies

Ehhhh... a funny word, but to a puppy it becomes a clue that it better stop and look at you. Teach the pup about this word. Use in the following instances:

• chewing
  • biting too hard
  • when you call and he doesn't come

When he makes a mistake, say "ehhh". Praise him when he does a good job. This is one of the most handy words in early training. I use it as a way to count down my dogs when they have been naughty. It really works and is a principle of all training. Saying "NO" all the time should not take place, it gets to the point of being ignored.

Remember to use "Ehhh" when biting is a bit too hard, puppies have to be taught not to bite too hard. After saying "ehhh", then redirect them to an appropriate toy. Another way is to say "ouch" and turn away from them and ignore them for a few seconds. I have found the "ehhh" works better.

Also, really bad behavior in a small puppy gets a time out, gently hold a puppy, and when it stops struggling to get down, praise it. This is part of alpha dog training, and you are the alpha dog, not the puppy. Spanking creates mean dogs, and fear biters.

Use a coke bottle with pennies to shake when the pup is far away and doing something inappropriate. This is an annoying sound and will get the pups attention. As soon as the pups attention is on you, praise it.

By Robyn

Editor's Note: I bet the Fonze would love this puppy training method... "Ehhhhhh!"

One very important issue to remember with training anything, is not to set up a failure. If the dog or puppy is half an acre away, do not call him if he is busy smelling a flower..you are setting up a failure.

If the dog looks like he will obey, then call him, and praise profusely when he comes to you!

Remember only ask for things that you know the dog or puppy is likely to do immediately, this enforces training, and rewards, and the dog is set up to succeed!

Remember training should have praise as the number one achievement. If he cant do something and gts stuck, then ignore him for a second, then go to a command he can do and praise him profusely..........praise praise praise!

Im bad on the computer and have never owned an American Bulldog but have both and am doing my best to do my best, If ya know what im saying. Id love to be given a FREE link or something to point me in the right direction. I have the time, space, and drive to make my dog JET into a good girl. She will be either way but if this computer will help im game. If someone gets this, Help a brother out.

I just got my pit his name is Juise he is 4 months old a very adorable. I got him from my co-worker who had to get rid of him because he was to big to play with his yorkie. Today for the first time he growled at me. I have been told not to hit to punish by crate training and using "NO" outside then take him. Today my husband hit him on the behind for using the restroom in the house.

We have had him three days and he is getting on a scheduled and used to I have not had any problems but have become nervous due to him growling. I told him bad dog. He will start his obedience training 03/21/08. I had that scheduled before I got him. Do I have anything to worry about? ( I told my husband no hitting)

Puppy sitting and looking upward.
Training a Puppy
Pets Dogs Training AdviceSeptember 16, 2004
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
winning dog with ribbon and cup
Training a Show Dog
Puppy Chewing on Boot
Preventing Puppies From Chewing
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎄