Can I Use Citronella Candles in Food Warmers?

Can citronella candles be used in food warmers? Is this harmful to the digestive system?

By Pat from Oak Park

If citronella candles repel mosquitoes, it only takes common sense to know that it would be extremely harmful to use in a food warmer!

It does not sound like a good idea to me. I am not usually a big fan of using something for which it is not intended. I think with food only UNscented candles of any kind should be used. I would think any candle with a scent, citronella included, would transfer & affect the taste/flavor of the food ...as well as safety issues. I go with: when in doubt, dont.

http://www.drugs.com/npp/citronella-oil.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citronella_oil

To MCW: If it were common sense, then the question would not have been asked. And actually I read that citronella candles are made of Lemon and essential oils which repel mosquitoes, not humans!

The citronella oils come from the plant and are concentrated--a process that has to be done professionally. You can't use the citronella plant individually for its oil. The citronella plant is of the geranium family and as far as I know, it is not edible. So, using these candles or any other scented candle part of the food prep is not wise. You would not spray air freshener over your food prep, similarly goes for candle use.

I use citronella plants for my deck/yard in mosquito control, have done that for the last 20 years. I would not want that smell near my food.

The fact that the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) does not regulate any citronella product would make me steer clear of using it around food :-o

The smell that would be coming up from the pan wouldn't do much for a person's appetite. I can't stand the smell and don't like to think that it is going in my lungs, so I do not use citronella at all. You should just use Sterno, they're made for warming pans.

PS: Why would it harm the diagestive system, you wouldn't be eating it. :-), as I said before, breathing it that close cannot be good for your lungs.

I would be afraid it would flavour or perhaps taint the food with fumes going into the air and landing in the pan that is being warmed.

Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 30, 2010
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
pink heart shaped hand warmer going into pocket
Making Hand Warmers
🎄
🍂