Cleaning Coins

I lived in Mississippi when Katrina hit. I lost most everything. I had a five gallon jug filled 3/4 way up with change I was saving for the grandkids to share when it was full. The problem the, surge water stayed in the jug for a while and when it was dumped it had molded bad. I have tried pouring coke on it and let it sit and tried using a cleaner. Nothing will work to clean the money. Any suggestions to clean without a lot of scrubbing? It's about $120 in pennies and nickels. Thanks for any help.

Barbara from Wiggins, MS

Best Answer

I know tomato sauce is great for cleaning copper, i rub it straight from a tomato onto my pots and let it sit for a while then rinse off, as for dimes and nickels, you can try dawn power dissolver, or possibly boiling them in a pot of water and a peice of tin foil? not sure about that one, but you never know. worse case, use jewelry cleaner, yeah really. by the way i'm in yazoo county, ms hope everything is getting back to normal for you.

Best Answer

try the old remedy vinegar & baking soda.

Best Answer

Pennies in vinegar and salt work extremely well. Just put the pennies in the liquid and pour in the salt, then mix them around, and the rust or gunk that's covering it is gone! Once you've dried them off, you can use steel wool to burnish them a little, but don't rub too hard. Pennies made after 1982 and mostly zinc, with only a tiny covering of copper. I don't know about nickels, though... Maybe try the same with only a few?

My husband uses hot sauce to clean pennies. Maybe try soaking a small amount of coins in a bowl filled with the sauce before you try the whole amount.

Liz

i swear when i was a kid i used to use some sort of combination of vinegar and salt to clean pennies (letting them soak in it). i've also heard some rumors that soaking the coins in coca-cola will work too, but i've yet to try that.

Bleach is an inexpensive thing to try.

You can use perioxide...we have a cleaner called H2orange...if you could get some of that it will clean anything and it disinfects. You could probably make your own..perioxide and a squeeze of fresh orange. Good luck.

I always have known that salt and lemon juice work, but know I am getting other ideas to try. :)

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalJanuary 17, 2007
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Covering a Tabletop With Pennies
Covering a Tabletop With Pennies
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Louisiana state quarter
Collecting State Quarters
🎉
🎄