Bone Loss in Lower Jaw

Has anyone had bone loss in their bottom jaw causing the ridge of your jaw to set lower down making dentures loose? If so what did you do to restore it, other than taking calcium? Thanks for any help.

By Anne from Lewiston, ME

I had an implant bar surgically put in 24 yrs ago and have had no bone loss since then. It is two titanium pegs placed in the lower front jaw bone with a bar across the front about an inch long. The denture then snaps onto the bar and keeps it from rubbing on the gums. The bone loss is from pressure of chewing or clenching. In the meantime, take out your lower denture at night when you sleep. I don't know of anything oral you can take.

My dentist told me that taking calcium will not help bone loss in the jaw. It's not the same process as osteoporosis. When I asked him what I could do other than surgery, he said there was nothing! He's ivy league educated, but I'm still interested in hearing from any of you who have improved your jaw bone loss situation!

Bone loss in the jaw can only be fixed with surgery, sorry.

For some reason I have been fortunate, even though I have been wearing the same dentures, upper and lower full plates for over 40 years, but the lowers still sit very well, and it is a good thing, because I can not imagine any of the "goop" that I could stand, or surgeries I could afford, but I have heard that the only help is the titanium pegs if the denture fits too poorly to allow effective. chewing. Sorry that seems to be the only option. My husband is facing that if his do not "settle in" but he is getting accustomed to them.

Bone Grafting is the only way to restore bone loss in the jaw. Bone loss occurs due to many things> poor dentition, many extractions, genetics, and most commonly gum disease.

If you consider bone grafting, seek a reputable oral surgeon or periodontist. It is not a procedure that your dentist would be doing, unless he has taken many, many courses on it.

Good Luck

Thank you all for your input. have been back and have to go back again, can not wear for any lenght of time and eating solid food in impossible. Understand newly licensed according to receptionist. My own dentist does not do this type ok work anymore How do I find one that is good?

Reducing Bone Loss
Reducing Bone Loss
Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 2, 2009
A bone-in ham on a platter.
Recipes Using a Ham Bone
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Rice in a cast iron pan.
Cooking Rice at High Altitudes
Red Bone Coon Hound
Red Bone Coon Hound Breed Information and Photos
🎄
🍂