Having a Successful Garage Sale
Here are some tips to have a great garage sale:
- Pick the right date, the first and fifteenth are when people receive their social security checks and/or pay checks.
- Choose a weekend nothing else is going on, such as community events or holidays.
- Give yourself several weeks, even months to get ready. Afterall you've got to gather and clean items.
- I set aside items all year.
- Arrange items according to use and or size and age appropriateness: clothing, toys, electronics, kitchen items, furniture, etc.
- Price or don't, it's up to you. Personally I've made more having things unpriced. People love to barter. Whatever you decide make sure your customers know. For instance if you choose not to price put a large sign out front telling people to make an offer, and mention it as they come up.
- If you choose to price recycle what you have, masking tape or leftover price tags. Don't go spend money, there is something around your house!
- Use large neon colored signs with bold black lettering for your signs. Make sure if you live in a neighborhood to have matching signs with arrows pointing the way. Better homes and Gardens suggest using balloons on your mail box, I think this is a terrific idea!
- Advertise where you can, the local paper, or convenient store, Craigslist is a great option too.
- Have the stuff you need ready. Cash and change, bags for buyers, extra batteries, a calculator, an electric supply close at hand.
- Place your big stuff closer to the road to help grab attention. Use bright colors to help attract attention to your displays.
- Come up with catchy ways to hang or display your accessories, purses, diaper bags, jewelery, belts and shoes. Better homes and Gardens also suggests staging your sale like a department store.
- Use space to your advantage, go up not down. Use hanging bars and shoe racks, (even if not for sale ) to help you display things.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on March 17, 2017 at 5:18:10 PM on 10.0.0.246 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us