Wedding Appetizer Recipes

Planning the menu for your wedding reception will often include some type of appetizers. This page contains wedding appetizer recipes.

June 22, 2007 Flag

My daughter and I have decided to reduce the budget for her wedding reception, and with the wedding two weeks away we want to find good, elegant and FRUGAL appetizers, and serve an appetizer reception instead of a buffet. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Kim from Crawford, CO

Time of day for the wedding seems to indicate the food served. If you are having it at dinner time or lunch time, you owe a meal.

If you are having it at an 'off time', then people expect cake, coffee, punch, snacks.

If you planned it at meal time, but are only serving appetizers, have someone discretely make phone calls letting the guests know, or there might be some low sugar grumpy guests at the wedding.

2 sticks cream cheese

1 package of Ranch seasoning mix

2 cans shredded crab meat

1/2 bottle of cocktail sauce

Mix cream cheese and seasoning mix, spread over plate or serving dish. Pour cocktail sauce on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle crab meat on top of the cocktail sauce and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This appetizer looks beautiful and will be a big hit! These ingrediants serve approx 6 people, so plan accordingly.

I need help in knowing how much to buy for our wedding reception. We are planning on watermelon, cantalope, honeydew, strawberries and kiwi. Broccoli, baby carroots, colored peppers. sliced ham and cheese sandwiched and piminto cheese sandwiches. mints/nuts and assorted cookies. As a gift we are getting 2 cheese/cracker trays. The cake will be sheets from Sam's and a round cake for us to cut. The punch will be gingerale and fruit juice (or any suggestion of a good one!) My wedding is March 14, 2009 I appreciate any feed back. We are on a limited budget(as most are) $250-$300

One thing I try to do at an appetizer party to make the guests get full quicker is to use recipes that have bread in them. One really cheap thing is to make small rolls. I have a dinner roll recipe and it makes 75 small rolls. Then cut and butter the little rolls, and fill with some shaved ham. Secure them with a toothpick.

For 75 rolls it only uses about 1 1/2 pounds of ham. Inexpensive and cute as a bug. You can also do this with roast beef or egg salad. When I make egg salad, I slice olives and secure an olive slice on top.

You can also make tiny cream puff shells and fill with a shrimp salad or crab salad mixture. Another bread item is a boboli spread with a cream cheese/ranch dressing layer and the top with chopped vegetables. That also works for the vegetarians in the crowd.

Another thing you could do is take a baguette and slice lengthwise, take out some of the breading (with your fingers), fill the baguette with a layer of cream cheese mixed with minced garlic, layer of arugula, layer of dried off chopped artichokes, layer of roasted peppers (dried off), spread the inside of the top of the bread with some goat cheese (or more of the cream cheese/garlic mixture), slap the top on and cut in slices that have been secured with toothpick.

If you have the appetizers passed people tend to eat less and it looks more elegant. Anything wrapped in bacon works--fake crab, scallops, dates stuffed with almonds, water chestnuts that have been sprinkled with soy sauce, etc.

For my New Year's Day party, I have broiled the bacon wrapped things the day before and just warmed them up in the oven on the day of the party. One thing that is easy is to buy bourbon chicken (frozen section) at BJs and cut them into smaller pieces and stick a toothpick in the pieces. The also have a ton of frozen appetizers at BJs that are good. Good luck and enjoy the day.

March 10, 2013 Flag

I am having an outside wedding and there isn't anywhere to keep food hot or cold. The wedding is in April, however we till have coolers to keep things cold if needed. My problem is I can't figure out easy appetizers that would be safe to have.

By Misti W

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Will there be electrical outlets? If so, you could use crock pots with things like meatballs and the little cocktail wieners with bacon wrapped around them. For cold things you could do deli meat roll-ups with cream cheese, Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix or dip mix with a little dab of milk, and chopped green onions with assorted crackers. Cheese assortment with assorted crackers. Sam's has those little pinwheels. There's always assorted fruits.

What about an elaborate salad bar? Everything, meat included, could be kept over ice for safety. You could include regular salads and other salads (potato, macaroni, etc) and some sweets too.

I would suggest cold appetizers and lots of interesting containers full of ice...the salad bar, with pickles and cheeses sounds great. A variety of small crackers would be safe to serve with the salads.

August 21, 2009 Flag

I need some ideas and appetizer recipes for a wedding reception that won't break the bank, but will make daughter happy. Any ideas?

By oregon mom from Prineville, OR

Don't forget a meat tray of summer sausage, etc ;-) Assorted crackers, bruschetta, hummus on pita bread triangles or bagel crisps and:

Mediterranean Cucumber Appetizer

1 cucumber, sliced 1/4 inch thick

2 Tbsp Red bell pepper, chopped

1/3 to 1/2 cup hummus, flavor of your choice

3 Tbsp Feta cheese, crumbled

Arrange cucumber slices on serving plate/tray. Top each cucumber slice with a dollop of hummus. Sprinkle each cucumber with Feta and finish by topping with red bell pepper.

Or might try my recent creation that can be made in large batches ahead and can even be frozen then thawed the day before and still taste great heated or room temp ;-)

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs ala Deeli

1 lb ground chicken (light, dark or combination)

2 tbls onions, finely diced

12 saltine crackers, crushed

2 tbls olive oil

1/2 cup Durkee or Frank's Red Hot Sauce

1/2 cup butter

Celery sticks

Blue Cheese Dressing - I recommend Marie's Chunk Blue Cheese, yum ;-)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the hot sauce and butter in a small saucepan over low heat stirring occasionally.

Combine chicken, onions and crackers and then round into dollar size balls. Brown the meatballs in a large skillet with the olive oil on medium heat. Transfer the meatballs into a baking dish.

Smother the meatballs with the hot sauce and butter sauce, cover baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.

Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing on the side.

I've done a few weddings myself for my neices and nephews. You can make a cheese ball with cream cheese, Worcestershire, green onions and ham. Everyone loves and it isn't that expensive. Or you can put the mix of cream cheese, Worcestershire and onions together spread on ham, roll them up and cut them into 1/2 inch slices. These are a big hit, I am always asked to make this.

I also did a pickle tray of just a few things like dills, sweets, okra and olives. We do finger sandwiches and chips also. One of my nieces was asked if her wedding was professionally catered. I was also at a wedding recently where they had this cream cheese with cocktail sauce and tiny shrimp on it. The recipe is on the frozen pack of shrimp from the store. Little smokies are also good cooked in a crock pot with bbq sauce. Pigs in a blanket is a good idea also. There are also these little pizza things, go to the deli and get some bread to slice, put spaghetti sauce on it, with pepperoni and cheese and put in the oven as soon as cheese is melted they are ready to go. Hope these help.

You can put cream cheese on ham an roll it up on a dill pickle and then slice it, or cream cheese, little green onions and ham rolls, or open face tomato sandwich take a cup of mayo and a cup of fried bacon chopped up mix together over night in ice box. Then put on french bread slices with a tomato on top just before serving.

My daughter married in February, and I did the catering for 150 people on my own by starting in the October before and freezing stuff as I went along. I made tiny chicken turnovers, Italian rice balls, both freezable recipes from, plus hummus, blue cheese dip (with yogurt instead of mayo), which I also froze with no problems at all. Sandwiches (made at the last minute), apple sheet cake, bake well tart (which both froze and thawed beautifully). Plus nibbles like chips, peanuts and some ready made frozen vegetable samosas and spring rolls. I also made pizza which I froze as well. Everybody was so impressed, and I made plenty! Long as you have LOTS of food and a reasonable variety, you can't really go wrong.

February 11, 2013 Flag

I am trying to put together an hor d'oeuvres only menu for an evening wedding reception (in the fall) of approx. 50-55 guests. I know I have to make heavy hor d'oeures for everyone not to be hungry. What kinds of hor d'oeuvres should I prepare? If anyone has recipes that they would want to share I would appreciate it. Also I appreciate all input and suggestions! =)

Finger sandwiches are good. Cut the crust off of bread, make the sandwiches, and cut in half on the diagonal. You can match the type to your wedding - bbq, tuna salad on toast, roast beef, etc. buy the meat bulk to save money. For deli meat and cheese, they will slice for you too. Fancy spreads really up the game of a plain sandwich. Try gourmet mustard or garlic mayo (aoili).

Another good idea is several types of crackers with hard meats and cheeses. Again, buy bulk at the deli and have them cut it for you.

If you want to get real fancy try asparagus lightly steamed, spread with boursin cheese, and wrapped in prosciutto. Bake until the edges crisp. It's pricey, but good and impressive. Also, get a mini-cupcake pan and make baby quiche.

I am a huge fan of fresh fruit for dessert. That way it won't compete with the cake.

Congratulations and good luck.

August 21, 2009 Flag

I am planning a wedding and am trying to create a menu of appetizers. Currently I have shrimp cocktail and a fruit tray with cheese. This is going to be at a wine vineyard at 2 pm on Oct 4, a Saturday afternoon.

I need ideas. Thank you.

Ashley from Michigan

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

How about scones with a variety of preserves/marmalades? (04/24/2008)

By gigurl

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Lumpia or egg rolls are wonderful, as well as an assortment of olives and pickled veggies such as cucumbers, artichokes, mushrooms, and cauliflower. Cheese ball and crackers, chicken wings, crab rangoon, and fruit kabobs. Spinach dip in bread bowls served with the bread chunks that were removed to make the hollow for the dip are very good, as well as, tiny tart shells or phylo shells with crab salad, deviled eggs, meatballs, tiny quiches. This is such an easy reception buffet to arrange. Wish I could do it for you. (04/25/2008)

By guest

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

You can make mini sandwiches using the pre-made dinner rolls/buns that look like little hamburger buns. (04/25/2008)

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

You can also add crackers to the fruit and cheese platter. (04/25/2008)

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

How fun for you. Here are a few suggestions that have worked for our family for weddings, parties, etc. All of them yummy, at least to us. How about: Roquefort grapes; brushetta made with tomatoes and feta cheese; ceviche served with tortilla chips; cherry tomatoes filled with smoked salmon mousse; sweet and spicy mixed nuts; broccoli or asparagus quiche (cut into squares); chili cheese cornbread (cut into squares); cream cheese and crab won tons served with plum dipping sauce; hot sausage won tons; a yummy cheese ball with pecans and raspberry jelly on top; papaya or melon wrapped with prosciutto.

All of these are very simple to make and easy to serve. Really. If you are interested in any recipes, just let me know. Most important, have fun. (04/25/2008)

By Liz

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

How about sweet and sour meatballs made with chili sauce and grape jelly. I know it sounds weird, but they're delicious. God Bless and good luck. (04/25/2008)

By shona43

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Bread Moment Surprise's

This is a very popular appetizer.

Then add:

Bake in oven at 150Deg C for 10 minutes,

You can make these a few day's ahead keep refrigerated then warm prior to serving. You may substitute the mushrooms with 1 teaspoon Tinned Salmon de-boned, which is also popular, but still following the same instructions, still adding the bacon. (04/25/2008)

By John from Tasmania

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

We make these things called Ham Roll Ups. Get some deli ham sliced on # 2-3 then spread a thin layer of soft cream cheese. Take a clean scallion and lay it on the edge facing you of the ham and roll it up then slice into bite size pieces. Make the night before so the flavor of the scallion has a chance to flavor the cream cheese. Good luck and congratulations. (04/25/2008)

By Debbie

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Apple Cheddar Won-tons

* Core the apples and cut into small pieces.

Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together and set aside. Preheat the peanut or vegetable oil in a deep fryer or other pan used for deep frying. Wrap a piece of apple and a cube of cheddar cheese in a
wonton skin and seal according to the directions on the package. Deep fry until golden brown. Coat with the brown sugar - cinnamon mixture and serve. This is good served hot or cold.

Candied Sausages

Cut bacon into thirds. Wrap one third piece of bacon around each cocktail sausage. Put sausages into 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pat down. Bake at 350 for one hour. Serve using toothpicks.

Can't Miss Sweet and Sour Meatballs

These are so simple, and always a hit at parties and get-togethers.

Place frozen meatball on a baking sheet, and bake according to package
directions. Meanwhile, place onions in the bottom of a slow-cooker on high, and cook until transparent.
Add cranberry and tomato sauces to cooker, and heat and stir until cranberry sauce is melted. Stir in meatballs, simmer on low heat. These are better the longer you can let them simmer, but can be done on the stovetop and served immediately. Easy, and so tasty.

Hot Cheese Straws

Prep: 15 min, Cook: 10 min, plus refrigeration time.

In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt and cayenne pepper. Cut in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and half the beaten egg and mix until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or spray several baking sheets. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 3x1/2 inch strips. Twist and place on prepared baking sheets. Brush the cheese straws with the remaining egg. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. If they brown too much, the cheese will turn bitter. These freeze very well. To refresh them after thawing, pop them in a 350 degrees F oven for 3-4 minutes.

Zola's nuts

Pour the nuts into an oven-proof pan. Spray nuts with oil and toss. Sprinkle on the seasonings and toss thoroughly. Roast in your oven at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. When you start smelling the wonderful aroma, or when you spy a little browning on the edges, take them out of the oven. Now toss one more time. Cool on paper towels. You can even eat them warm and really savor the coating. (04/26/2008)

By micksgirl

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

You could also do finger sandwiches, cucumber and cream cheese, tuna/ham/chicken salad, or whatever else you might like for fillings. (04/26/2008)

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

You can make mini quiches with a mini muffin pan and pre-made pie crust or phyllo. Cut whatever you're using for crust with a round cutter and press into the muffin wells, then a small amount of any quiche recipe, and watch carefully while baking. I think these can be frozen and reheated as well. (04/26/2008)

By dj_pinkey

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

I went to an afternoon wedding last year, and they had a terrific assortment of "finger foods".
They had beef kabobs, fruit kabobs, scallops wrapped in bacon, cheese and crackers (of course), and vegetable kabobs. What made it nice was that everything was on skewers (even the cheese pieces), so guests only had to pick up a skewer and go. It cut down on time spent getting food, and also mess, since you could just munch off of the skewer if you chose.

The fruit skewers were very pretty; they used the fruit cutters so each slice was a shape. Also, the cheese was "fancied up" too. Best wishes for health and happiness. (04/26/2008)

By LAnBfflo

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

One thing that I serve a lot and always goes so quickly is mini croissants filled with chicken salad. You could put whatever you want in them (I've done pimento cheese for poker parties). They are small, but a bit filling, always a big hit. (04/28/2008)

By bikingala

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Simple yet delicious, fried ravioli. It can be made ahead of time. Just take frozen ravioli "I use minis" while still frozen dip in egg wash, then flavored bread crumbs. Then either deep fry or fry in pan with olive oil. Once golden brown ravioli is cooked and good to go, tomato sauce is a great dipping sauce. (05/14/2008)

By Gia

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Mini Muffins in a few different flavors. Skewers of cheese cubes and seedless grapes. Skewers of diced ham and cheese. Baby carrots and pepper strips with dip.

By Julie L

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

It seems like a very interesting setup. You can try a number of things based on the cuisine you want to opt for. You can serve:

• Mini sausages or sausage pieces on a skewer.
  • Small cups of boiled corn kernels with different flavourings eg. white sauce, salt and lemon juice with herbs etc.
  • Canapes with a variety of fillings eg. Tuna, chicken, cold cuts, corn or whatever catches your fancy.
  • Cutlets or patties (whichever term you are familiar with - basically spiced meatballs with minced meat)
  • Chicken wings or lollipops (if you want something more oriental)
  • Bread croutons with a cheese dip. (Bread can be replaced with vegetable sticks like carrot, etc.)
  • An assortment of chips / crisps

This list can go on. Just make sure that what you serve is convenient to munch on without being messy. God bless and have a blast. (08/19/2008)

By Trisha

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

I am also having an appetizer menu for my fall night time wedding. My favorite things from the menu so far are butternut squash soup shooters for one of our passed hors d'oeuvres. We are also having mini sandwiches Reubens, burger sliders, and pulled pork sliders. (08/15/2009)

By LuaCheiaJewelry

You gave me so many ideas for an afternoon wedding reception. The one I really liked was your idea of Chicken salad on mini crossiant and I am adding grapes and some nuts. Doing Ham salad, all so Sorry about the spelling. Thanks

• Related
    Weddings FoodFebruary 15, 2013
    Plant wedding favors.
    Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
    A married couple in a moutain setting.
    Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
    Two tiered wedding cake with flowers on top.
    Saving Money on a Wedding Cake
    Colorful Bridal Bouquets
    Choosing Wedding Colors