Browsing: Wedding Appetizer Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Wedding Appetizer Recipes

Planning the menu for your wedding reception will often include some type of appetizers. This page contains wedding appetizer recipes.

Wedding Appetizers
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 22, 2007 Flag

My daughter and I have decided to reduce the budget for her wedding reception, and with the wedding two weeks away we want to find good, elegant and FRUGAL appetizers, and serve an appetizer reception instead of a buffet. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Kim from Crawford, CO

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Time of day for the wedding seems to indicate the food served. If you are having it at dinner time or lunch time, you owe a meal.

If you are having it at an 'off time', then people expect cake, coffee, punch, snacks.

If you planned it at meal time, but are only serving appetizers, have someone discretely make phone calls letting the guests know, or there might be some low sugar grumpy guests at the wedding.

2 sticks cream cheese

1 package of Ranch seasoning mix

2 cans shredded crab meat

1/2 bottle of cocktail sauce

Mix cream cheese and seasoning mix, spread over plate or serving dish. Pour cocktail sauce on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle crab meat on top of the cocktail sauce and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This appetizer looks beautiful and will be a big hit! These ingrediants serve approx 6 people, so plan accordingly.

I need help in knowing how much to buy for our wedding reception. We are planning on watermelon, cantalope, honeydew, strawberries and kiwi. Broccoli, baby carroots, colored peppers. sliced ham and cheese sandwiched and piminto cheese sandwiches. mints/nuts and assorted cookies. As a gift we are getting 2 cheese/cracker trays. The cake will be sheets from Sam's and a round cake for us to cut. The punch will be gingerale and fruit juice (or any suggestion of a good one!) My wedding is March 14, 2009 I appreciate any feed back. We are on a limited budget(as most are) $250-$300

One thing I try to do at an appetizer party to make the guests get full quicker is to use recipes that have bread in them. One really cheap thing is to make small rolls. I have a dinner roll recipe and it makes 75 small rolls. Then cut and butter the little rolls, and fill with some shaved ham. Secure them with a toothpick.

For 75 rolls it only uses about 1 1/2 pounds of ham. Inexpensive and cute as a bug. You can also do this with roast beef or egg salad. When I make egg salad, I slice olives and secure an olive slice on top.

You can also make tiny cream puff shells and fill with a shrimp salad or crab salad mixture. Another bread item is a boboli spread with a cream cheese/ranch dressing layer and the top with chopped vegetables. That also works for the vegetarians in the crowd.

Another thing you could do is take a baguette and slice lengthwise, take out some of the breading (with your fingers), fill the baguette with a layer of cream cheese mixed with minced garlic, layer of arugula, layer of dried off chopped artichokes, layer of roasted peppers (dried off), spread the inside of the top of the bread with some goat cheese (or more of the cream cheese/garlic mixture), slap the top on and cut in slices that have been secured with toothpick.

If you have the appetizers passed people tend to eat less and it looks more elegant. Anything wrapped in bacon works--fake crab, scallops, dates stuffed with almonds, water chestnuts that have been sprinkled with soy sauce, etc.

For my New Year's Day party, I have broiled the bacon wrapped things the day before and just warmed them up in the oven on the day of the party. One thing that is easy is to buy bourbon chicken (frozen section) at BJs and cut them into smaller pieces and stick a toothpick in the pieces. The also have a ton of frozen appetizers at BJs that are good. Good luck and enjoy the day.

To Andy, Would you please post the recipe for the 75 small rolls. My granddaughter is getting married in June and this sounds like something that would be good. Thank you so much

March 10, 2013 Flag

I am having an outside wedding and there isn't anywhere to keep food hot or cold. The wedding is in April, however we till have coolers to keep things cold if needed. My problem is I can't figure out easy appetizers that would be safe to have.

By Misti W

Will there be electrical outlets? If so, you could use crock pots with things like meatballs and the little cocktail wieners with bacon wrapped around them. For cold things you could do deli meat roll-ups with cream cheese, Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix or dip mix with a little dab of milk, and chopped green onions with assorted crackers. Cheese assortment with assorted crackers. Sam's has those little pinwheels. There's always assorted fruits.

What about an elaborate salad bar? Everything, meat included, could be kept over ice for safety. You could include regular salads and other salads (potato, macaroni, etc) and some sweets too.

I would suggest cold appetizers and lots of interesting containers full of ice...the salad bar, with pickles and cheeses sounds great. A variety of small crackers would be safe to serve with the salads.

August 21, 2009 Flag

I need some ideas and appetizer recipes for a wedding reception that won't break the bank, but will make daughter happy. Any ideas?

By oregon mom from Prineville, OR

Don't forget a meat tray of summer sausage, etc ;-) Assorted crackers, bruschetta, hummus on pita bread triangles or bagel crisps and:

_________________________________________________

Mediterranean Cucumber Appetizer

1 cucumber, sliced 1/4 inch thick

2 Tbsp Red bell pepper, chopped

1/3 to 1/2 cup hummus, flavor of your choice

3 Tbsp Feta cheese, crumbled

Arrange cucumber slices on serving plate/tray. Top each cucumber slice with a dollop of hummus. Sprinkle each cucumber with Feta and finish by topping with red bell pepper.

________________________________________________

Or might try my recent creation that can be made in large batches ahead and can even be frozen then thawed the day before and still taste great heated or room temp ;-)

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs ala Deeli

1 lb ground chicken (light, dark or combination)

2 tbls onions, finely diced

12 saltine crackers, crushed

2 tbls olive oil

1/2 cup Durkee or Frank's Red Hot Sauce

1/2 cup butter

Celery sticks

Blue Cheese Dressing - I recommend Marie's Chunk Blue Cheese, yum ;-)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the hot sauce and butter in a small saucepan over low heat stirring occasionally.

Combine chicken, onions and crackers and then round into dollar size balls. Brown the meatballs in a large skillet with the olive oil on medium heat. Transfer the meatballs into a baking dish.

Smother the meatballs with the hot sauce and butter sauce, cover baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.

Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing on the side.

I've done a few weddings myself for my neices and nephews. You can make a cheese ball with cream cheese, Worcestershire, green onions and ham. Everyone loves and it isn't that expensive. Or you can put the mix of cream cheese, Worcestershire and onions together spread on ham, roll them up and cut them into 1/2 inch slices. These are a big hit, I am always asked to make this.

I also did a pickle tray of just a few things like dills, sweets, okra and olives. We do finger sandwiches and chips also. One of my nieces was asked if her wedding was professionally catered. I was also at a wedding recently where they had this cream cheese with cocktail sauce and tiny shrimp on it. The recipe is on the frozen pack of shrimp from the store. Little smokies are also good cooked in a crock pot with bbq sauce. Pigs in a blanket is a good idea also. There are also these little pizza things, go to the deli and get some bread to slice, put spaghetti sauce on it, with pepperoni and cheese and put in the oven as soon as cheese is melted they are ready to go. Hope these help.

You can put cream cheese on ham an roll it up on a dill pickle and then slice it, or cream cheese, little green onions and ham rolls, or open face tomato sandwich take a cup of mayo and a cup of fried bacon chopped up mix together over night in ice box. Then put on french bread slices with a tomato on top just before serving.

My daughter married in February, and I did the catering for 150 people on my own by starting in the October before and freezing stuff as I went along. I made tiny chicken turnovers, Italian rice balls, both freezable recipes from allrecipes.com., plus hummus, blue cheese dip (with yogurt instead of mayo), which I also froze with no problems at all. Sandwiches (made at the last minute), apple sheet cake, bake well tart (which both froze and thawed beautifully). Plus nibbles like chips, peanuts and some ready made frozen vegetable samosas and spring rolls. I also made pizza which I froze as well. Everybody was so impressed, and I made plenty! Long as you have LOTS of food and a reasonable variety, you can't really go wrong.

February 11, 2013 Flag

I am trying to put together an hor d'oeuvres only menu for an evening wedding reception (in the fall) of approx. 50-55 guests. I know I have to make heavy hor d'oeures for everyone not to be hungry. What kinds of hor d'oeuvres should I prepare? If anyone has recipes that they would want to share I would appreciate it. Also I appreciate all input and suggestions! =)

By PLB2PLC

Finger sandwiches are good. Cut the crust off of bread, make the sandwiches, and cut in half on the diagonal. You can match the type to your wedding - bbq, tuna salad on toast, roast beef, etc. buy the meat bulk to save money. For deli meat and cheese, they will slice for you too. Fancy spreads really up the game of a plain sandwich. Try gourmet mustard or garlic mayo (aoili).

Another good idea is several types of crackers with hard meats and cheeses. Again, buy bulk at the deli and have them cut it for you.

If you want to get real fancy try asparagus lightly steamed, spread with boursin cheese, and wrapped in prosciutto. Bake until the edges crisp. It's pricey, but good and impressive. Also, get a mini-cupcake pan and make baby quiche.

I am a huge fan of fresh fruit for dessert. That way it won't compete with the cake.

Congratulations and good luck.

August 21, 2009 Flag

I am planning a wedding and am trying to create a menu of appetizers. Currently I have shrimp cocktail and a fruit tray with cheese.

Weddings FoodFebruary 15, 2013
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Wedding Dress Sale square
Saving Money on a Wedding Dress
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 12:21:14 PM on 10.0.2.23 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.