Wedding Appetizer Recipes

Category Food
Wedding Appetizers
Planning the menu for your wedding reception will often include some type of appetizers. This page contains wedding appetizer recipes.

My daughter and I have decided to reduce the budget for her wedding reception, and with the wedding two weeks away we want to find good, elegant and FRUGAL appetizers, and serve an appetizer reception instead of a buffet. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Kim from Crawford, CO

Mom,you've made a wise choice!!I once catered a wedding for well over 100 and stayed within a $250 budget. May I make a few suggestions? Meatballs and L'il Smokies slowcooked in Barbeque sauce with a jar of Grape jelly.(You can buy frozen meatballs-it goes farther to add chopped onions to hamburger-add onions-roll your own-bake-then slow cook.I also bought a nice big ham and made SMALL biscuits from flour and whipping cream--doing them small makes a LOT!I made Tuna Salad (use WHITE Tuna,relish,chopped eggs,Miracle whip and a drop of white Vinegar (to take away the FISHY taste) and I made Chicken salad.Boil chicken breasts,mix using Miracle whip AND a little Mayonaise,add chopped eggs,cut-up Grapes and pecan pieces,add a few drops of Lemon Juice to whiten the chicken) I served these on croissants from Walmart bakery(the smaller ones).I made a big crock of Mexican dip and Tortilla chips.Dill chip dip and Ranch chip Dip.Do your own fruit and Vegetable trays.You can get twice as much for half the price.Most Dollar Tree stores sell aluminum trays and covers.In fruit trays I had Oranges,Apples(green and Red)Cantelope,Watermelon,fresh cut-up Pineapple.(Be sure to soak Apples in Sprite until time to put on tray.) Vegetable trays included Celery,Brocoli florets,Cauliflour,baby Carrots and tiny Tomatoes.I had 2 trays EACH and backups left.You could do cheese trays.Cheaper if you cut your own but to save time you can buy it already cubed.PASTA SALADS go a long way. For my Daughter's wedding I did an Italian pasta salad and a RANCH pasta salad.Another suggestion,to stretch cake buying do cupcakes.Saves on a lot of wasted cake.I also did four big cheeseballs with crackers.Two were ALL Cheeses with seasoned salt and the other two were made with diced Ham,green onions,cream cheese and seasoned salt.Add a little Miracle whip to cream cheese when mixing both cheese balls. I can tell you from experience,your guests enjoy the VARIETY of foods instead of a SET menu. GOOD LUCK with your wedding!!!

One important thing I failed to mention...you CANNOT do this alone when it comes to assembly.ASK 2-3 RELIABLE friends or family members for assistance.They'll be flattered you asked and it makes the load lighter--less stress on you!I did it all myself but before the reception I had help getting it together.The mother of the bride was so pleased she gave me a nice BONUS which I hadn't counted on.Wish I lived close.I'd have been glad to help.Again---Good Luck!!!

I LOVE DOING THESE TYPE OF THINGS...THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN....And I agree with everything Sharon said....she has some wonderful ideas. One thing she mentioned was cup cakes....for my daughter's wedding we did a small 2 tier cake for pictues and then bought a COSTCO cake....real reasonable. Another thing that is fun is those "chocolate fountains"...you can have cut fruit to dip the chocolate in....and a fun thing to do is to mix your fruit but make your bowl out of a watermelon...just cut the top "ends: off, leaving a handle in the middle, scoop out the fruit and fill...I have done this for weddings, shower, jack and jills and it is always a hit....

I used to cater and LOVE doing cocktail type things. One of the favorites was crab-stuffed deviled eggs. For each dozen eggs, discard half the yolks. Rub the remaining yokes through a mesh seive with a spoon into a bowl, add a can of rinsed, picked-over crab, mayo, a couple of drops of Tabasco. Pipe into egg white halfs with pastry bag and tip. Top each with a tiny sprig of fresh dill or flat-leaf Italian parsley.

I would suggest an assortment of crackers, cheeses, cream cheese spreads, vegetable dips, fresh, raw vegetables, mild & medium salsa, red pepper jellies, and an assortment of fresh fruits & berries.

Divide your presentation platters into 5 types

Fruits & Cheeses

Veggies & Dips

Creamcheeses & fruits

Crackers & Cheeses

Crackers, Creamcheeses & Salsa

Present 1/2 of your appetizers assembled

and the remaining 1/2 unassembled for your guests to try their own combinations

Examples of Fruit & Cheese platter unassembled:

Old White Cheddar

Medium Marble

Red & Green SEEDLESS grapes

Thinly sliced cantelope

Pineapple "bites"

Cheese knife

Example of Crackers, Creamcheese & Salsa/redpepper jelly -assembled and unassembled

I like Bagel Bites and whole wheat crackers for this one

On each Bagel Bite spread a nice amount of creamcheese, then top with a little salsa or red pepper jelly - thats it.

Creamcheese & watercress on a Bagel Bite is quite a nice combination to try as well.

Fruit with a Fruit Dip Platter

For the fruit dip

blend together a jar of soft marshmellow (Kraft) with 2 blocks of plain creamcheese until very smooth.

Put the mixture into a bowl in the centre of your platter. Surround with an assortment of raspberries, strawberries, cantalope, honeydew melon & seedless grapes. Provide toothpicks.

In order to give your reception an elegant feel, make sure all your platters match- all white . Plain platters, with small simply decorated napkins make an elegant statement, and at a small cost.

(the Dollar Store is a great place for both platters and small napkins) Also, line each platter with paper doillies, they too are available from the Dollar Store. Plus they stop the food on the platter from sliding around.

Remember to use things like mint leaves, parsley, watercress to garnish your platters. Fresh edible flowers, such as violets & nastursums are a lovely addition to the fruit/cheese platters.

You will be very busy with so many things in the next few weeks, my suggestions are ones that if you can delegate help from a couple of friends with the platters, its pretty self explainatory stuff to put together an no one has to cook a thing. It can all be done the morning of the wedding in a matter of perhaps 2 hours. Plus if you get really pushed for time, you can buy most of the raw veggies ready cut up ready to assemble.

Have a lovely time, hope some of these ideas are useful for you.....:0)

I would agree with everything that has already been said here, but have a few additions:

-Cake: Costco has some of the best cakes ever that can be customized to your liking and they're only $14.99 each! I heard for months after my wedding that the cake was the best they'd had for the entire wedding season.

-Presentation is key. Any food can look cheap if its not arranged in a nice manner. Use doilies from the dollar store, umbrellas - anything that matches the theme really. Just make sure it looks like you put as much thought into the food as you did the rest of the wedding! Use nicer platters and such from the thrift store instead of plastic bowls, etc.

-Remember to get help, and plan, plan, plan. The less you have to think the day of the wedding, the more you will enjoy yourself. The internet abounds with instructions on when you can plate things.

I always have a big Christmas party at our home. The one thing that I make, everyone loves. Buy hotdogs, cut into three's. Use a pound of bacon, cut into three's also. Wrap around the hotdog pieces, put into baking pan, single layers. Take a couple of handfuls of brown sugar and sprinkle over these. Bake at 375 degrees until they are crispy. Make sure you spray the baking pan with pam first. These are very good.

A lot of these are great suggestions, but not completely wedding-appropriate in my opinion.

This is an appetizer reception, so you'll want to keep things fresh, elegant, and uncomplicated.

Try to have one or two more substantial items- this will help you achieve the more elegant feeling. Maybe miniature crabcakes, or Greek-style meatballs (google a recipe, they are tasty as heck!)...make these your big splurge.

Pigs in a blanket are always good-HOWEVER- here is a cute little way caterers fancy them up- sprinkle sesame seeds on top after you egg-wash the dough. Serve with a bowl of good dijon mustard.

Bean salad. Colourful and light for summer with lots of veggies, cheap, and EASY. Also ditto on the pasta salad. Good cheese, and roasted veggies will make this light and delicious, for little money.

I would stay away from cream-cheese dips. Try a nice spread with hummus, tzatziki, babaganoush, spinach/artichoke dip (all these recipes can be found online, and the ingredients can be purchased cheaply). Add sliced french bread, pita bread, a couple of types of olives. This will go over in a huge way.

Yes on a cheese and fruit platter.

The individualized desserts are an adorable idea.

And I agree with the presentation. It is so important. Natural materials and garnishes add an expensive feel. Browse online for ideas, and re-invent them in cost effecient ways! Good luck! And congrats!

how about chicken breast tenders cut into bitesize, wrapped in bacon, and rolled in brown sugar, nice showing, pretty reasonable for price, and these little suckers are really good. you can also do meat cut into bitesize, marinated with just about anything, beef or pork are great marinated or cooked in some kind of sweet or teriaki, with a toothpick

Stuffed mushrooms, shrimp tree (buy the shrimp at Sam's), meatballs is a major plus and always always go w/ veggie and fruit platter. I made homemade fortune cookies at my wedding and had cute little "fortunes" rolled up in them.

tortilla pinwheels always a big hit and you can

premake just

spread a flour tortillas with mix of

creamcheese, salsa, and shredded cheese and one sliced, diced, jalapeno

roll tortilla up tight and wrap in plastic wrap

and leave in frig up to one day in advance then

take out slice and set on plate

____________________________________________

salsa dip

Mix

cream cheese, salsa, shredded cheese, chopped

green chilis (not spicy) or Rotel

mix well refrig for a day or two in advance

serve with chips

*note* it is tasty and does not make a mess

_____________________________________________

black bean dip

one can of black beans

salsa

shoepeg (white) corn and one yellow corn

mix it all up in bowl and great salsa fresh and good

serve with chips

________________________________________________

cold melons

watermelon squares

cantaloupe melon balls

honeydew melon balls

cut and FREEZE till day of

______________________________________

Definitely a nice fruit and cheese display:melon balls, grapes, apples, pears, bananas, goat cheese, cheddar, bleu, brie,etc. Add specialty crackers on the side. A vegetable platter with an herb dip. Spinach Salad, Caesar Salad, shrimp cocktail, spinach artichoke dip with crostinis, hummus or tzatzki dip, scallops wrapped in bacon, stuffed mushroom caps, mini crab cakes, spanikopita, potato cakes with a dollop of creme fresh and red caviar, smoked salmon atop sliced cucumbers with a dill sourcream and a caper, mini beef and chic skewers, mini beef and chix wellingtons, proscuitto wrapped melon, mini bloody marys... hope that helps, those are the kinds of things we are doing for our wedding and we as well decided on only serving hor'doeveres. We are making everything ourselves...it definitely saves money.

Im planning a wedding for my daughter as well. She has consented to having a very modest one. Appetizers all the way! I had some ideas; but I'm tired of doing the same ole thing. Unfortunately, it takes money to go beyond the norm. I'm trying to remember that it is her wedding! One question: should I or should I not mention on the invitation that it is an appetizer reception? Should I care?

Time of day for the wedding seems to indicate the food served. If you are having it at dinner time or lunch time, you owe a meal.

If you are having it at an 'off time', then people expect cake, coffee, punch, snacks.

If you planned it at meal time, but are only serving appetizers, have someone discretely make phone calls letting the guests know, or there might be some low sugar grumpy guests at the wedding.

2 sticks cream cheese

1 package of Ranch seasoning mix

2 cans shredded crab meat

1/2 bottle of cocktail sauce

Mix cream cheese and seasoning mix, spread over plate or serving dish. Pour cocktail sauce on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle crab meat on top of the cocktail sauce and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This appetizer looks beautiful and will be a big hit! These ingrediants serve approx 6 people, so plan accordingly.

I need help in knowing how much to buy for our wedding reception. We are planning on watermelon, cantalope, honeydew, strawberries and kiwi. Broccoli, baby carroots, colored peppers. sliced ham and cheese sandwiched and piminto cheese sandwiches. mints/nuts and assorted cookies. As a gift we are getting 2 cheese/cracker trays. The cake will be sheets from Sam's and a round cake for us to cut. The punch will be gingerale and fruit juice (or any suggestion of a good one!) My wedding is March 14, 2009 I appreciate any feed back. We are on a limited budget(as most are) $250-$300

One thing I try to do at an appetizer party to make the guests get full quicker is to use recipes that have bread in them. One really cheap thing is to make small rolls. I have a dinner roll recipe and it makes 75 small rolls. Then cut and butter the little rolls, and fill with some shaved ham. Secure them with a toothpick.

For 75 rolls it only uses about 1 1/2 pounds of ham. Inexpensive and cute as a bug. You can also do this with roast beef or egg salad. When I make egg salad, I slice olives and secure an olive slice on top.

You can also make tiny cream puff shells and fill with a shrimp salad or crab salad mixture. Another bread item is a boboli spread with a cream cheese/ranch dressing layer and the top with chopped vegetables. That also works for the vegetarians in the crowd.

Another thing you could do is take a baguette and slice lengthwise, take out some of the breading (with your fingers), fill the baguette with a layer of cream cheese mixed with minced garlic, layer of arugula, layer of dried off chopped artichokes, layer of roasted peppers (dried off), spread the inside of the top of the bread with some goat cheese (or more of the cream cheese/garlic mixture), slap the top on and cut in slices that have been secured with toothpick.

If you have the appetizers passed people tend to eat less and it looks more elegant. Anything wrapped in bacon works--fake crab, scallops, dates stuffed with almonds, water chestnuts that have been sprinkled with soy sauce, etc.

For my New Year's Day party, I have broiled the bacon wrapped things the day before and just warmed them up in the oven on the day of the party. One thing that is easy is to buy bourbon chicken (frozen section) at BJs and cut them into smaller pieces and stick a toothpick in the pieces. The also have a ton of frozen appetizers at BJs that are good. Good luck and enjoy the day.

I need some ideas and appetizer recipes for a wedding reception that won't break the bank, but will make daughter happy. Any ideas?

By oregon mom from Prineville, OR

Anonymous

Don't forget a meat tray of summer sausage, etc ;-) Assorted crackers, bruschetta, hummus on pita bread triangles or bagel crisps and:

_________________________________________________

Mediterranean Cucumber Appetizer

1 cucumber, sliced 1/4 inch thick

2 Tbsp Red bell pepper, chopped

1/3 to 1/2 cup hummus, flavor of your choice

3 Tbsp Feta cheese, crumbled

Arrange cucumber slices on serving plate/tray. Top each cucumber slice with a dollop of hummus. Sprinkle each cucumber with Feta and finish by topping with red bell pepper.

Or might try my recent creation that can be made in large batches ahead and can even be frozen then thawed the day before and still taste great heated or room temp ;-)

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs ala Deeli

1 lb ground chicken (light, dark or combination)

2 tbls onions, finely diced

12 saltine crackers, crushed

2 tbls olive oil

1/2 cup Durkee or Frank's Red Hot Sauce

1/2 cup butter

Celery sticks

Blue Cheese Dressing - I recommend Marie's Chunk Blue Cheese, yum ;-)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the hot sauce and butter in a small saucepan over low heat stirring occasionally.

Combine chicken, onions and crackers and then round into dollar size balls. Brown the meatballs in a large skillet with the olive oil on medium heat. Transfer the meatballs into a baking dish.

Smother the meatballs with the hot sauce and butter sauce, cover baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.

Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing on the side.

I am having an outside wedding and there isn't anywhere to keep food hot or cold. The wedding is in April, however we till have coolers to keep things cold if needed. My problem is I can't figure out easy appetizers that would be safe to have.

By Misti W

I am trying to put together an hor d'oeuvres only menu for an evening wedding reception (in the fall) of approx. 50-55 guests. I know I have to make heavy hor d'oeures for everyone not to be hungry. What kinds of hor d'oeuvres should I prepare? If anyone has recipes that they would want to share I would appreciate it. Also I appreciate all input and suggestions! =)

By PLB2PLC

I am planning a wedding and am trying to create a menu of appetizers. Currently I have shrimp cocktail and a fruit tray with cheese. This is going to be at a wine vineyard at 2 pm on Oct 4, a Saturday afternoon.

I need ideas. Thank you.

Ashley from Michigan

Answers:

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

How about scones with a variety of preserves/marmalades? (04/24/2008)

By gigurl

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Lumpia or egg rolls are wonderful, as well as an assortment of olives and pickled veggies such as cucumbers, artichokes, mushrooms, and cauliflower. Cheese ball and crackers, chicken wings, crab rangoon, and fruit kabobs. Spinach dip in bread bowls served with the bread chunks that were removed to make the hollow for the dip are very good, as well as, tiny tart shells or phylo shells with crab salad, deviled eggs, meatballs, tiny quiches. This is such an easy reception buffet to arrange. Wish I could do it for you. (04/25/2008)

By guest

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

You can make mini sandwiches using the pre-made dinner rolls/buns that look like little hamburger buns. (04/25/2008)

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

You can also add crackers to the fruit and cheese platter. (04/25/2008)

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

How fun for you. Here are a few suggestions that have worked for our family for weddings, parties, etc. All of them yummy, at least to us. How about: Roquefort grapes; brushetta made with tomatoes and feta cheese; ceviche served with tortilla chips; cherry tomatoes filled with smoked salmon mousse; sweet and spicy mixed nuts; broccoli or asparagus quiche (cut into squares); chili cheese cornbread (cut into squares); cream cheese and crab won tons served with plum dipping sauce; hot sausage won tons; a yummy cheese ball with pecans and raspberry jelly on top; papaya or melon wrapped with prosciutto.

All of these are very simple to make and easy to serve. Really. If you are interested in any recipes, just let me know. Most important, have fun. (04/25/2008)

By Liz

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

How about sweet and sour meatballs made with chili sauce and grape jelly. I know it sounds weird, but they're delicious. God Bless and good luck. (04/25/2008)

By shona43

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Bread Moment Surprise's

This is a very popular appetizer.

Then add:

Bake in oven at 150Deg C for 10 minutes,

You can make these a few day's ahead keep refrigerated then warm prior to serving. You may substitute the mushrooms with 1 teaspoon Tinned Salmon de-boned, which is also popular, but still following the same instructions, still adding the bacon. (04/25/2008)

By John from Tasmania

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

We make these things called Ham Roll Ups. Get some deli ham sliced on # 2-3 then spread a thin layer of soft cream cheese. Take a clean scallion and lay it on the edge facing you of the ham and roll it up then slice into bite size pieces. Make the night before so the flavor of the scallion has a chance to flavor the cream cheese. Good luck and congratulations. (04/25/2008)

By Debbie

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Apple Cheddar Won-tons

Garnishes:

* Core the apples and cut into small pieces.

Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together and set aside. Preheat the peanut or vegetable oil in a deep fryer or other pan used for deep frying. Wrap a piece of apple and a cube of cheddar cheese in a
wonton skin and seal according to the directions on the package. Deep fry until golden brown. Coat with the brown sugar - cinnamon mixture and serve. This is good served hot or cold.

Candied Sausages

Cut bacon into thirds. Wrap one third piece of bacon around each cocktail sausage. Put sausages into 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pat down. Bake at 350 for one hour. Serve using toothpicks.

Can't Miss Sweet and Sour Meatballs

These are so simple, and always a hit at parties and get-togethers.

Place frozen meatball on a baking sheet, and bake according to package
directions. Meanwhile, place onions in the bottom of a slow-cooker on high, and cook until transparent.
Add cranberry and tomato sauces to cooker, and heat and stir until cranberry sauce is melted. Stir in meatballs, simmer on low heat. These are better the longer you can let them simmer, but can be done on the stovetop and served immediately. Easy, and so tasty.

Hot Cheese Straws

Prep: 15 min, Cook: 10 min, plus refrigeration time.

In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt and cayenne pepper. Cut in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and half the beaten egg and mix until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or spray several baking sheets. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 3x1/2 inch strips. Twist and place on prepared baking sheets. Brush the cheese straws with the remaining egg. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. If they brown too much, the cheese will turn bitter. These freeze very well. To refresh them after thawing, pop them in a 350 degrees F oven for 3-4 minutes.

Zola's nuts

Instructions:

Pour the nuts into an oven-proof pan. Spray nuts with oil and toss. Sprinkle on the seasonings and toss thoroughly. Roast in your oven at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. When you start smelling the wonderful aroma, or when you spy a little browning on the edges, take them out of the oven. Now toss one more time. Cool on paper towels. You can even eat them warm and really savor the coating. (04/26/2008)

By micksgirl

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

You could also do finger sandwiches, cucumber and cream cheese, tuna/ham/chicken salad, or whatever else you might like for fillings. (04/26/2008)

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

You can make mini quiches with a mini muffin pan and pre-made pie crust or phyllo. Cut whatever you're using for crust with a round cutter and press into the muffin wells, then a small amount of any quiche recipe, and watch carefully while baking. I think these can be frozen and reheated as well. (04/26/2008)

By dj_pinkey

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

I went to an afternoon wedding last year, and they had a terrific assortment of "finger foods".
They had beef kabobs, fruit kabobs, scallops wrapped in bacon, cheese and crackers (of course), and vegetable kabobs. What made it nice was that everything was on skewers (even the cheese pieces), so guests only had to pick up a skewer and go. It cut down on time spent getting food, and also mess, since you could just munch off of the skewer if you chose.

The fruit skewers were very pretty; they used the fruit cutters so each slice was a shape. Also, the cheese was "fancied up" too. Best wishes for health and happiness. (04/26/2008)

By LAnBfflo

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

One thing that I serve a lot and always goes so quickly is mini croissants filled with chicken salad. You could put whatever you want in them (I've done pimento cheese for poker parties). They are small, but a bit filling, always a big hit. (04/28/2008)

By bikingala

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Simple yet delicious, fried ravioli. It can be made ahead of time. Just take frozen ravioli "I use minis" while still frozen dip in egg wash, then flavored bread crumbs. Then either deep fry or fry in pan with olive oil. Once golden brown ravioli is cooked and good to go, tomato sauce is a great dipping sauce. (05/14/2008)

By Gia

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

Mini Muffins in a few different flavors. Skewers of cheese cubes and seedless grapes. Skewers of diced ham and cheese. Baby carrots and pepper strips with dip.
(07/11/2008)

By Julie L

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

It seems like a very interesting setup. You can try a number of things based on the cuisine you want to opt for. You can serve:

Mini sausages or sausage pieces on a skewer.
  1. Small cups of boiled corn kernels with different flavourings eg. white sauce, salt and lemon juice with herbs etc.
  2. Canapes with a variety of fillings eg. Tuna, chicken, cold cuts, corn or whatever catches your fancy.
  3. Cutlets or patties (whichever term you are familiar with - basically spiced meatballs with minced meat)
  4. Chicken wings or lollipops (if you want something more oriental)
  5. Bread croutons with a cheese dip. (Bread can be replaced with vegetable sticks like carrot, etc.)
  6. An assortment of chips / crisps

This list can go on. Just make sure that what you serve is convenient to munch on without being messy. God bless and have a blast. (08/19/2008)

By Trisha

Ideas For Wedding Appetizer Menu

I am also having an appetizer menu for my fall night time wedding. My favorite things from the menu so far are butternut squash soup shooters for one of our passed hors d'oeuvres. We are also having mini sandwiches Reubens, burger sliders, and pulled pork sliders. (08/15/2009)

By LuaCheiaJewelry