Easy Berry Canning Juice

This is based on a long family recipe, and I changed some of it to make it very more protected, though, it makes the best juice, and it's very easy, you just have to give it some time for the flavors to develop.

It is for only berries, any berries.

In an extremely clean and sterilized quart canning jar, add 1 cup of berries, whole, sliced, or mashed. 1/2 cup of sugar, and then fill the jar with boiling water up to about 1/2 inch from the top. Seal the two-part lid.

I water bath canning them for boiling 20 minutes, then when they seal, put them into a dark cooler or room temperature place, putting them in boxes closed up works well. They need a month to 6 weeks before you try them. I put one in the refrigerator at night, and the next morning, I just strain the juice into another container, and some people compost what's left, and some use them in jello, or bread, I prefer to compost.

With Concord grapes, if you like Welch's grape juice, it is superior juice, so, no need to go through all the hassles of making juice before canning.

Various people in the family have tried to make them sugar-free, but, they really haven't found anything that they like yet, so, just use sugar or honey if you prefer. I am going to try using it with blue agave syrup, and since it is sugar, it should work. It is kind of expensive, it still is sugar, though, it is good for diabetics, the blood sugar will be more even than regular sugar.

Source: My family from way back.

By kas2 from Rockford, MI

FWIW, you might try Agave Nectar, light. It does not have the caramel taste that the dark Agave Nectar has. Agave Nectar is considered low on the glycemic index You would normally use 50% less Agave that you would with sugar. I have been using it for over 4 years in baking and cooking. It mixes well in cold, warm or hot liquids. I have found the best place to buy it at is http://www.vitacost.com/Madhava-Organic-Light-Agave-Nectar It is $10.55 for 46ozs. plus $4.95 shipping no matter how many you order. This is the cheapest I have found it anywhere.

Food and Recipes Canning FruitFebruary 11, 2010
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries