Morning Glories: Not Just A Weed

Although when mentioning that I grow Morning Glories, many think it's a weed , not so. I love to have them hang over my railing on the deck, some have also come up on their own and are a dark purple. Blossoms open in the a.m. only

By czechlady from Yakima, WA

My Mother said this was what they used during the Depression for their hanging baskets.

I was able to grow one morning glory plant this year and I just love the beautiful color. It is in front of my kitchen window on a bird feeder pole. I am so looking forward to it coming back next year. I have several seed pods and plan to give some away and try to see if I can get more to grow. I never knew before they reseed themselves so hope I have good luck again next year I just love them.

Morning Glories are NOT weeds at all! They were planted in yards especially around posts, fences, etc. when I was a girl. The other plant or flower I've heard people call a weed is the Four o' Clock. They open in the late afternoon, and are NOT weeds.

Those look healthy, and I like the purple-flower ones. There are two types, hedge bindweed and field bindweed, that are not only weeds, they are legally recognised in your area (I'm in Moses Lake) as Noxious Weeds, meaning the county has the authority to levy fines to those who fail to remove the weed from their property after notice. I had a horrible fight with bindweed on my place on the Coast, so I found that the solution was to MOVE! Their roots go everywhere! I hope yours are rooted in a container. Enjoy!

In the Midwest it's now creeping charlie. Once you have it, it's yours forever. I wish plant researchers would study these prolific plants - these "weeds" obviously hold the secret to immortality.

I live in Fl and it seems they do better in the cooler weather. So I guess I will wait until then. Or does anyone have any suggestions on where to plant them. Partial shade, maybe?

I just love Morning Glories! I have had the darndest time growing them over the years, too. I had some luck this year with two plants & I am so happy.

Trish in CT

I love them also!

Here are some interesting facts regarding our lovely Morning Glories:

http://www.ask.  n&ap=ask.com