Herbs and SpicesFood Tips

Keeping Salt and Sugar Free Flowing

What can I do to keep my salt and sugar shakers pouring? I am having a hard time with moisture right now.

Erica

Hi Erica! Try adding a few grains of rice to your salt shakers. Perhaps someone else can make a suggestion for the sugar.

for the sugar place a saltine square in the container.You can use 2 or 3 dried beans in the salt if you don't have rice.

I have a frost-free freezer and I store salt in there.

I put a wooden toothpick in the salt shaker.

We have always put several (uncooked) grains of rice in the bottom of the shakers. Hope this helps. SWG

I have always used saltine crackers for both salt and sugar. The cracker is too large to plug the holes in the salt shaker and anyone using a spoon in the sugar will not pick up the cracker.

Wouldn't a cracker get moldy if it absorbed moisture? Also, why not uncooked spaghetti sticks or other dried pasta?