Shop Thrift Stores for Great Deals

Since this is a thrift site, most people will know about thrift stores. If anyone needs a reminder, though, please remember some thrift stores are done really well: having nice clothing and blankets, as well as some appliances and dish/cookware for some cents to a few dollars. They also are a great place to find craft/gift supplies.

By Davidicdancer from Spokane, WA

Editor's Note: What are some of the items that you have purchased at a thrift store. Any great finds?

I have had such good luck buying things at "Savers", both in Colorado & here in Massachusetts. I have bought higher quality clothing then I have ever been able (or willing) to buy. For example, I bought a brand new Talbot's vest for $4.99 & an Evan Piccone vest for $5.99. I noticed one day that they were selling Depression glass for as low as $1.99 for perfect pieces. Also, one day they sold a set of 12 Waterford glasses for $4.00 each! I now love the thrift stores.

I love thrift shops. Someone wrote in recently about getting the "thrift store smell" out of the clothes they buy there. I responded with "what is a thrift store smell" and then reminded them of all the good things the stores do to keep things clean and what our dollars do to help local people.

So, I support shops that help local missions, animal shelters, and such. St. Vincent de Paul and Salvation Army are among my fav's. I buy everything I can't buy used there. So, food, rent, bills, etc are all essentials and the rest is second hand.

And, I find that second hand does not mean used. People donate a lot of new things there, as do stores that close out, etc.

I have found silverware, real silverware, for .05 each, wedding dresses for 25.00 that I make doll and teddy wedding sets of, jewelry, and once, I got a formal for a dime. It gave me 4 yards of lace, 13 pearlescent buttons, a zipper, and a brooch.

I esp' like the "as is" stores, where things go when they are not sold in time. That is where you can find the real bargains, esp' if you don't mind digging in bins. It's a great way to resell too.

My favourite thrift store find is a huge stainless steel pot I use for bulk cooking chilli and stew, etc. It cost me $14 and is of good heavy quality so I'm sure could easily have cost $50-$70 new (at a guess).

I also like to buy knitwear from thrift shops. I often find good-as-new jumpers for at least 1/4 of what I'd pay new elsewhere.

A lot of the items in my local Goodwill store are not bargains at all. They often times are priced higher than WalMart, Target, etc. And kids clothes are a steal at Kohl's when I have a 20 or 30% coupon. I shop the clearance racks at Kohl's for my grandsons. I recently bought three bras for myself at Kohl's on the clearance rack. One was less than $10 and the other two were around $5. eac. Name brands. I seldom shop at Goodwill but do find bargains at other thrift stores in my area but I only go on senior days to get my discount.

I always find brand new "name brand" bras at my Goodwill, and a thrift store we have called Value World....with the tags on them sometimes !! My friends always compliment my cute clothes I wear....they find it hard to believe where I get them and what little I pay for them !!

I am another fan of thrift stores, I also take some items to a consignment shop to make extra money. Yesterday on the news with the epidemic of bed bugs, they mentioned thrift shops a place where these bugs have been found. Hopefully washing items in hot water can get rid of the beasts. It did give me 2nd thoughts on what I purchase from now on.

Such great finds there, always something different. Things can be repurposed (I especially agree with Poor but Proud's posting). I too buy sheets and clothing to repurpose them. I view them as fabric and potential items (buttons, zippers, lace, etc). It's a wonderful place to find bargains!

Thrift Store Clothes
Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingSeptember 9, 2009
Finding Silver Jewelry at Thrift Shops
Finding Silver Jewelry at Thrift Shops
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
Thrift Store
Southern California Thrift Stores
🎉
🎄